Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 07:48 PM

Default 1/2 Party: Hit trips with medium kicker out of position..

Hey!

I don't like the way I played it.. Please help!
What should I do on the Flop? I was thinking about re-raise him on the Flop. But if he only called my bet I would be in deep [censored] on the Turn. He could have a flush draw or the KJ/AJ that would crush me. And I wouldn't feel great about fire a big bet on Turn. And if I would check on the Turn after I had re-raised him on the Flop it would definitely open up the door for a steal buy my opponent.. And I would have a very hard time calling his Turn all-in bet.

Anyway, what to do?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+2 ($98)
<font color="C00000">MrFroggyX ($266.60)</font>
MP2 ($280.20)
MP3 ($133.30)
<font color="C00000">CO ($227.80)</font>
Button ($73.05)
SB ($163.80)
BB ($144.25)
UTG ($185.30)
UTG+1 ($192.90)

Preflop: MrFroggyX is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MrFroggyX calls $2, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($10) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MrFroggyX bets $9</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $35</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MrFroggyX calls $26.

Turn: ($80) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MrFroggyX checks, CO checks.

River: ($80) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MrFroggyX checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $85</font>, MrFroggyX calls $85.

Final Pot: $250
<font color="green">Main Pot: $250, between MrFroggyX and CO.</font>
Old 08-17-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Re: 1/2 Party: Hit trips with medium kicker out of position..

Depends on your opponent...it seems to me he would have raised AJ/KJ in the cutoff to try to steal the button and get it headsup, but remember he could also be limping with a drawing hand like JT or 9J in late position.

Or, if you've noticed him playing LAG, he could very well be playing a weaker jack. A lot of people simply will not give their opponent credit for trips with a better kicker.

I think it's pretty hard for you to get any more information from him by playing this differently, except by betting out on the turn. If he were semi-bluffing a flush draw he would probably lay it down on the turn.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:53 AM

Yes.. I agree it depends on the opponent.. Do he semi-bluff his draws? Steal the blinds when in the CO? and so on..
But I don't have any reads on him.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

except by betting out on the turn.

How much do you think I should bet out? $50?
And if he comes over the top I would drop my hand?
And what to do on the river if calls my Turn bet? Check?
Old 08-18-2004, 10:20 AM

given that the turn was checked through, I liked your river check to induce a bluff.

also you have the right idea about not playing a huge pot. I think most of the time I would bet the turn, he is going to have a hard time raising you and that might have helped him enough to pay you off.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-19-2004, 12:15 AM

He had A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
So I guess I was lucky not to lose more on the hand..

But still I don't feel comfortable how I played this hand. Next time I'm going to bet on the Turn and see what happens.

Or perhaps go for a check raise on the flop instead off betting out like I did?