Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Trying to bully

I'm chipleader in the Saturday Party $100+9 tournament with 20 left. My stack is about 35K, I've been among the leaders since about halfway through with some lucky breaks, i.e. AA against an all in raise preflop, a set vs. TPTK where I got a big chunk of the chipleader's huge stack, etc.)

Usual Party payout structure, no real money til the top two or three places - which was my goal.

I'm humming along with dreams of final tables and congratulatory posts and all that. I've made one final table of a Multi-table tournament before (a WPT satellite but no seat), and I've probably only played 25 tournaments in my life.

So blinds are T1000/T2000.

I, again, am chip leader with T40000 in SB. Folded around to the cutoff (T20K) who raises to T5000, I have AJs in the small blind, and push, hoping he was on a steal and will lay it down. He calls with KK and I'm chopped to 20K.

A few steals later and I'm back up to 23K with 11 left, only one more to the final table!

At a new table. Blinds are T1500 and T3000. Again, folded around to average stack (T35K) one before the cutoff who doubled up with AA in his last hand makes a preflop raise of T7K. I push all in with AQo. He calls with AA (again!) and I'm out in 11th.

Did I just get unlucky?
Old 08-16-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Trying to bully

I would lay down the AJ preflop. The CO is usually not a good person to try to resteal from unless they are a known LAG, because with three players to act after them the CO tends to have a better hand.

The second hand is tougher. I would also probably lay this down too. Remember it's not your job to be the cop of the world. If the table is tight enough that you can make chip profit just by stealing blinds then I probably wouldn't play back at people without the goods (which AQo is not) unless they are a known LAG/blind thief.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:04 PM

No,you were bullied. When you are the chip leader, it is great to push around the small stacks - a guy with 4200 when you have 40K. However, with the lead and a big stack making these bets, I lay the hands down. Why confront the big stacks when they have shown strength? Nothing wrong with you making the first raise with these hands, but why defend them when you have almost nothing in the pot and can just wait for a better spot?

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2004, 02:12 PM

I have to agree. Furthermore, A-Q is not a favorite against a pocket pair to win. He didn't really have to have A-A for you to lose. He could have had an edge over you even with a low pocket pair.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to agree. Furthermore, A-Q is not a favorite against a pocket pair to win. He didn't really have to have A-A for you to lose. He could have had an edge over you even with a low pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neal,
I hear this a lot, and it is flat out wrong. Yes, AQ or even AK for that matter, is a dog to even 22. However, you are not calling all in, you are raising all in. The small pair has to make a call where he is either a big dog or a small favorite. This cannot be overlooked. You can't simply say he's a dog to even a small pair if it isn't certain that the small pair will see the light of day.
It's called folding equity.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:31 PM

Excellent point!

I guess given the context that the villain was a big stack our hero had to factor in the possibility that the villain would match his all-in even with a low pocket pair.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:00 PM

As any kindergartener knows, bullying is best when you are picking on the weak, not on the strong. You want to attack the blinds and weak stacks, not play back against stacks that can cut you in half or knock you out.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:33 PM

agreed; as the big stack you should only be bullying small stacks and steering clear of the big ones. In the case of the KK, you can see that with his stack size hes *most likely* would not be taking a shot at you or try to steal your blind w/o a real hand.. The AQ hand is just bad luck for you to run into aces..
Old 08-16-2004, 04:44 PM

Your user name hurts my eyes.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your user name hurts my eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your ugly-ass Dodger "LA" hurts my eyes.

Suck it up princess.