Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Another hand, and 2 revelations...

It occurred to me this hand that 1) I can't remember ever re-raising someone, and 2) I never have a good read on anyone.

This hand was slightly different. I put UTG+1 on overcards, but then after the hand was over I realized he had been raising pf alot more than the average player. So without meaning to, I think I played this hand pretty well. Here it is:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed)

SB ($10.35)
BB ($7.10)
UTG ($8.80)
UTG+1 ($12.85)
Hero ($34.90)
MP2 ($49.25)
CO ($7.95)
Button ($9.75)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.60) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2.75</font>

Any tips on getting reads on players? Any comments on the hand?
Old 08-13-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Another hand, and 2 revelations...

Looks like overcards or a small PP here. Did he have 66 ?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:36 AM

I really don't understand minraises preflop. What do you hope to accomplish with such a raise? On the flop this is a no-brainer bet. If you're check-raised you fold.

Getting a read on someone is simply a matter of paying attention. What does this player raise pf with? When he raises prelop does he usually come out betting on the flop? How often does he slowplay?

The raise preflop is very large. I would either call or even fold if UTG+1 is tight and only raises pf with hands that are either way ahead or 50/50 compared to yours. I don't think anyone would check the flop.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't understand minraises preflop. What do you hope to accomplish with such a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have thought that 3x the BB is considered a mini-raise. Perhaps my reraise was too small? I occasionnally raise more, and occasionally see bigger raises, but 2-4x the BB is most of what I see in this room.

My point was to isolate this player, who in 10-15 hands had raised pf 3 or 4 times and never had to show his cards.

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop this is a no-brainer bet. If you're check-raised you fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok that makes sense.

[ QUOTE ]
Getting a read on someone is simply a matter of paying attention. What does this player raise pf with? When he raises prelop does he usually come out betting on the flop? How often does he slowplay?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have difficulty doing this in online games where the players are constantly changing. I don't often sit with more than a few players for more than 50 or so hands.

[ QUOTE ]
The raise preflop is very large.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand this regarding the pf raise. I thought that was a mini-raise?

[ QUOTE ]
I would either call or even fold if UTG+1 is tight and only raises pf with hands that are either way ahead or 50/50 compared to yours. I don't think anyone would check the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, good. As I said, I later pegged him as loose and aggressive. I think he either had overcards or possibly was just being aggressive with mediocre cards.

I think perhaps I was thinking that in the back of my mind when I made the pf re-raise. I hope so anyway.