Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 10:42 AM

Default Am I Right? SSH Concept

I'm about halfway through SSH (yea yea, my copy came late), but I just want to make sure I am following a certain section correctly.

Example:

Table is loose or unknown.

Hero is dealt [2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] and is UTG+2.

UTG folds, UTG+1 raises, Hero calls .

According to SSH, this is correct?

I am finding it hard to believe, so maybe I am just way off??

Haupt_234
Old 08-13-2004, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Am I Right? SSH Concept

I'm not done with the book yet either. But coldcalling an EP raise with 22 doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:46 AM

I think it's a fold, unless it's guaranteed that several others will cold call the raise (w/o anyof them 3 betting it).

Your 22 will need to improve for you to win this hand and you need the callers to make it a profitable play. In this position, unless you have a good read on the table, you do not know if you will get the callers you need.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:48 AM

I didn't read the book as of yet, but if it's a really loose table with 4-6 to the flop even with a raise in EP, then this is a call. If you don't hit your set, fold.

Again, you must be 90%-95% certain that there will be 4-6 players seeing the flop for 2 bets each.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, you must be 90%-95% certain that there will be 4-6 players seeing the flop for 2 bets each.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what confuses me is the fact that you should treat a new, unknown table as a loose one until proven otherwise. So I can never be certain.

Haupt_234
Old 08-13-2004, 11:30 AM

This is fine if you can expect the pot to be at least 4 handed (preferably 5). The main problem is if it gets raised behind you then you are investing a lot to hit your set. So, you would like the players to be aggressive post flop too. Calling 2 cold here is very tough and can put you in a tough situation before the flop but the idea is that you will make enough out of your loose aggressive opponents after the flop to make up for preflop disadvantage.

Of course if you were on the button and UTG+1 raised and 3 people called cold then it is a very easy decision to call.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:35 AM

If you're on Party, assuming that an unknown table is loose isn't a terrible assumption. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2004, 01:05 PM

I'm sure somewhere there is a game that justifies coldcalling.

In my online play I've never seen such a game. You cannot expect to get enough additional callers on average. You may easily get reraised and have to call additional bets.

It should also be mentioned that your postflop position is terrible. You are directly behind the PFR which will make it very hard to maximize your set because your raise will confront everyone with two bets.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:24 PM

What he said.

marginal hand, bad position, 2 bet cold call, no read on table . . . . . . . no go

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] busguy
Old 08-13-2004, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But what confuses me is the fact that you should treat a new, unknown table as a loose one until proven otherwise. So I can never be certain.

Haupt_234

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think treating the table as "loose" is the problem. Treating the table as "passive" might be. If you just sat down and have 2 LAGs to act behind you, you're going to be blindsided for 4 bets pre-flop.