Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 10:40 AM

Default Any way out of this?

I lost 4BB on a straight that improved to a Q high flush against an A high flush and a straight flush.

Does anyone else realize the Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is so scary?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qs Kh (flush, king high).
MP2 shows 2s Ah (flush, ace high).
Button shows 9c 9h (straight flush, queen high).
Outcome: Button wins 21 BB. </font>
Old 08-13-2004, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Any way out of this?

Raise preflop.

Fold to the river 3-bet. The question you have to ask yourself is "Would anyone 3-bet this without the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?" Not a chance.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:45 AM

yeah, you gotta fold that river when it comes two cold back to you. With a flop like that, you know the A hearts is going to stick around, the straight flush is a little harder to call, although the board only needed one card to complete it.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:05 AM

How are you doing with KQo in EP? KQo is one of my worst hands, and SSH rates it as "play" in tight (3-5) games.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else realize the Q is so scary?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:26 AM

I agree with Bill -- raise this preflop. As for the river, I'd probably think I was beat, but personally would probably still have a hard time folding it (one of my unfortunate leaks).
Old 08-13-2004, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else realize the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is so scary?

[/ QUOTE ]

It just so happens my avatar has that queen with a bullet through it... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

Raise preflop. I like the flop and turn semi-bluff, it's a shame you didn't get more action.

Fold the river. It is tough, but you were raised and reraised here. It is hard to believe you are ahead at this point.

Haupt_234
Old 08-13-2004, 11:52 AM

Also, don't post the results in the post - especially right at the top for all to see.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:53 AM

Poker Tracker give me a winning percentage of 88% at the turn when I replayed it. Things changed in a hurry.

The button underplayed his pocket 9's (straight flush draw) by a bunch.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:06 PM

I originally converted without the results, but decided that the results weren't the focus of the question.

I really wanted to know, in a generic sense, how many people consider the possibility of a straight flush when estimating an opponent's hand, as well as the lesser question of how often people would fold to the possibility of a higher flush, if only an A could beat you?

Should the betting patterns overridde the probabilities of a straight flush or the nut A?

There are so many threads about how crazy the betting is at micro limits, I'd like to think calling two cold on the river is generally a bad idea, but I'm not sure.