Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 10:23 PM

Default JJ against stop n go ...

I'm trying to become more agressive with pocket pairs...how did I do? BB is a loose opponent who often went too far with his hands... What about my river raise? I never know what to think when my opponent pulls the old stop n go...

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls,

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 08-12-2004, 10:31 PM

Default Re: JJ against stop n go ...

Good play, don't do this if your opponent is real tight. Turn play was good, and I'd most likely call the river bet instead of raising it
Old 08-12-2004, 11:17 PM

Why do you keep raising, especially on the river? You did see the K and the two 9s out there right?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:22 PM

I'm with Nottom here. I absolutely LOVE the flop bet. After that I think you have to play more cautiously: check/call.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:33 AM

flop bet is very good. rainbow flop, one overcard, only the blinds left.

if the SB didn't foolishly fold, i like the turn raise looking to fold SB and earn a free showdown. the turn raise is alright even without the SB, but it should be with the intent to take a free showdown. you don't want to shovel chips into this pot.

the river raise is terrible and I think BB is betting a weak King which just "improved" to two pair.

make a note of his play. I recently played against an odd player who could not resist leading each street. i tried 3 times to get a free showdown, but kept being bet into on the river. if he's been doing this all night, do not raise the turn.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:57 AM

Good turn raise, just call the river.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:31 AM

I dont like the turn raise, and I dont like the river raise. The pot is small and he suddenly bets into you at the turn. In the end you are investing 4BB to win 8.5BB if i calculated right, and I think the chance that he has you beat after betting into you 2times, even at the river after being raised, is at least 60%.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:40 AM

I like the turn raise if you intend to take a free showdown. It's a small margin there where you vaule bet a J and just check behind on any other card.

k
Old 08-13-2004, 08:46 AM

I agree that the river raise was a really bad move...probably made out of frustration. I was thinking he probably had a hand like A9 or A5 or maybe two hearts...but he was actually holding AK to win the hand. The reason I raised the turn is because I've noticed that loose agressive players will often bet into me (and any tight player) after a PF raise when they assume the flop missed me. In retrospect, with a K on the board, this would have been a risky move for him to make without a decent holding...I just hate slowing down and seeing 52o at showdown... (My emotions speaking again...)
Old 08-13-2004, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Another question

Let's say the positions were reversed and I was acting first in this hand. I bet the flop and the BB calls. Do I then check/call the turn and river? At what point is it safe to play like I might be behind? I have a tendency to keep betting unless raised, and I don't think that's right....