Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 06:35 PM

Default Best verbal (or other) psych-outs

Please post your most effective tricks (or tricks you've heard of) for getting a better hand to fold or a worse hand to call. Scotty Nguyen seems to be particularly good at these mind games ("If you call this it's all over, baby."). I have absolutely nothing like this in my repertoire, so any help would be welcome. I'm primarily interested in tricks that work in live games and tourneys.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Best verbal (or other) psych-outs

I have found that if you try to psych someone out, it is mostly going to result in their calling you. If you want them to fold, keep your mouth shut. It really doesn't help too much IMO to try this type of tactic, so I am not going to recommend anything.

al
Old 08-12-2004, 06:58 PM

The classic is as the guy looks like he's gonna fold, you say "you'll need to have the [set, straight, flush, full etc] to play" when in fact the guy needs considerably more than that.

Phil Hellmuth plays this verbal angle often when he holds the nuts or nuts-1, which I often refer to as "the neonuts".
Old 08-12-2004, 07:16 PM

There are no general psych outs that would work on everyone...You need to adjust to thier personality. What I do is show my really great hands when you don't have to show. (when everyone folds). This sticks out in others minds that when you are in a hand you usually have a top 10 hand. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't...Depends on how observant the other players are....Now if you just want to tilt another player...Be a smartass...that can help...but can also hurt if not done right...
Old 08-12-2004, 11:18 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

The toughest psych-out is a guy who doesn't say or do anything while awaiting your decision.

It's not as cool, but it's the best way.

Edit: although i did use a verbal statement to gain a free card on the turn against a guys set. I named his hand on the flop (2 tone) and said i would slide one off. The 3rd flush card hit, he checked to me, i checked behind. He looked totally confused. The 4th flush card hit, he got an exasperated look on his face and i took it down with a runner flush that beat his flopped set. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

b

ps. Now in golf, Bobby Jones was the master of it. I've used many of his lines in a cutthroat skins game i used to play in. Worked like a charm.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:29 PM

Default Re: My best one in a while

Playing 10-20 Borgata
Usual cast of suspects. I'm as usual up decent and have that wicked nasty bet at every opportunity image.
4 limpers to me on the button , I raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Sb folds BB calls limpers call.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB best, 2 callers, I raise, BB calls, limpers call.

Turn J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB bets, 1 caller, I raise again.

Now, BB is a twenty something kid, PokerStars Hat, sunglasses, you know the deal. Kid takes off his glasses and hat and literally stares me down. I look right back at him and explain to him that its only another 20 and its not for a bracelet.

Kid takes a good 45 seconds and is still staring me down.

Bunky finally blows him a kiss and the kid insta three bets. limper folds, I call.

River brick.

BB bets, I raise, he three bets, I four bet, he calls.

Whoops [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
I'm a bad boy.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:12 PM

LOL!
Old 08-13-2004, 02:01 PM

Yeah it was a bit over the top but got me hella amounts of BB out of him on the river.

What a schmuck.

In addition he was gunning for me the rest of the session. Too bad he busted out and didnt have mommy's Star Card.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:25 PM

Bunky r00lz! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2004, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please post your most effective tricks (or tricks you've heard of) for getting a better hand to fold or a worse hand to call. Scotty Nguyen seems to be particularly good at these mind games ("If you call this it's all over, baby."). I have absolutely nothing like this in my repertoire, so any help would be welcome. I'm primarily interested in tricks that work in live games and tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you just try being a courteous and likeable human being. Possibly by being pleasant and having a good time others will catch on, and as a result good players may become less concerned with playing good and bad players will not mind playing bad.

Instead of trying to invent newer and more effective ways to be irritating, arrogant, and rude; why don't you focus on maybe trying to help somebody have a fun experience.

The vast majority oif players these days play for entertainment. People are willing to pay for entertainment. Help them be entertained and they will happily give their money to you.