Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 09:01 PM

Default Arggg. Giving up on 2-pair on the flop.

Need opinions from the crowd please.

Situation: early in a 10 person, 30$ sit-and-go, lets say we're still in the 10/20 blind timeline. If the people get to a show down, I've got it written down what they had and their betting pattern so I have an idea who's going in with any suited, any ace, etc.

I've had 4 tournaments in the last 2 days where I've flopped top 2 pair with 4 other people in the hand, no raises pre-flop. I'll bet out a little over the pot (say T150 into a T100 pot) so anyone drawing to a straight or flush doesn't have pot odds. But in all 4 situations I've been re-raised and instead of calling I go over the top again and go all in only to loose to someone that hit a set.

I'm trying to figure out where I back off (if I back off). Do I back off my initial bet of T150 (about 1/4 my stack) so I don't feel so committed to the pot but give any draws proper odds to call. Simply call a re-raise and check-fold on the turn if there's a big bet back at me? Calling the raise would put 1/2 my chips into the pot early in the tourney and I'd be pot committed at that point. If they go all-in over the top give it up? I've seen so many times with people with top pair and an ace raise that I hate to give up these situations. I consider myself an average player so I can at times outplay later but its hard.

Thoughts? Help?

-Geng