Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 11:40 AM

Default Playing tight

I'm a beginner in texas hold'em (only started playing a few months ago) and I guess am seeking some advice from more experienced players. I've gotten decent to a point where I clean out bi-weekly games with my friends with such ease that sometimes I purposely lose a low stakes game just so that they will invite me the next week. My question is about playing online. When I first started playing, I used to play almost every hand, was not counting all of the odds properly and I easily doubled my deposited amount of $100 within a week at 25/50cent tables. I kept playing well for about a month. I then did some reading. I learned how to count odds better and which starting hands to fold/play/raise. I then started playing tighter, (fewer hands, folding many more hands after flop), and have not been able to reach the same success I initially had.

Do you think my game is suffering because I became a more predictable player by generally following these rules? Is it generally a good idea to play tight online?
Old 08-11-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Playing tight

yes. you had a hot run of cards. Play every single one of your next 1000 hands and you will most likely lose.

tight is right, as long as it is paired with aggressiveness. Join the Microlimit forum and post hand histories that confused you, comment on others play etc. and you'll become a great player.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 08-11-2004, 11:50 AM

Your game is not suffering cause you play tighter. Your game probably is improving cause you not counting solely on luck. You are probably avoiding big losses now.
Do as what was said. Post your hands, discuss it here. I wish you luck (or skill?)
Old 08-11-2004, 12:07 PM

welcome to the forum.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think my game is suffering because I became a more predictable player by generally following these rules?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it generally a good idea to play tight online?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. tight means optimally tight.