Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 05:39 AM

Default Being Results Orientated, and the FTOP

(this is probably not best suited in the SNG forum... but I've only posted in this one and I'm comfortable here [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

I've been thinking a lot lately about the replies in these forums that are results-orientated, and how damaging this can be. This is due usually to people posting their results along with their hand histories. But regardless, I still see responders going out of their way to base their comments on the results. For example, posts like: "Well you got it all in with the best hand, you can't ask for more than that."

A good example is the blind Re-Steal Steal thread, I think comments by both durron597 and Erostratus are focused on the results (he had a flush draw) rather than the situation on the flop (you have nothing, he could have absolulely anything). [I mean not to single anyone out, I'm sure I do it too. That thread just encouraged me to write start this one].

I also read this post by Phill S:

[ QUOTE ]
ok, first off, he showed QQ, therefor youd have pushed off the third guy and split. so by definition you made the wrong play. as according to the fundamental theory of poker.

must remember to re-read the big yellow bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

In context, I think this post is saying "well he showed QQ, and if you had known that you would have played it differently. Hence, according to FTOP, the play was wrong".

If I understand correctly, that just screams of being results-orientated. But is this interpreting Sklansky wrong? As the FTOP states:

[ QUOTE ]
Every time you play a hand differently from the way you would have played it if you could see all your opponents' cards, they gain; and every time you play your hand the same way you would have played it if you could see all their cards, they lose. Conversely, ...[the converse]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is wrong.

I'm not good at hypothetical examples, so go with me on this. Lets say you've got KK PF and someone pushes on you. Now lets say that you know he would only make this move with AA or AK. If this was the case then it would be correct to call because there's a greater chance he holds AK. I'm confident that (presuming your read was right) this is the correct play. So you call and they flip over AA. Was your play then incorrect? No. It was still correct to call. If the same thing happens in the next hand, is it still correct to call? Yes, it is. But FTOP states that it was the wrong play (or the opponents "gains") because you didn't play like you knew their cards. The FTOP seems to ignore the fact that you put your opponent on a range of hands, and, based on the odds of holding those hands you make a +EV decision.

Or am I (and other posters) interpretting fsop incorrectly? or am I just talking rubbish?
Old 08-11-2004, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Being Results Orientated, and the FTOP

id rather go for a holistic answer.

first tho. let me say that i did state in the thread is was a wrong fold earlier on. i stated why, based on assumptions.

with the results i could then evaluate what i said, and specifically how it was played in one off terms. i usually try to answer things this was. i come up with the overall view, then go into specifics if the results are there.

now the fundamental theory is highly theoretical. its more a pricipal than anything else. perhaps its my dodgy interpretaion, but in your KK AA example, you do infact make an error according to the FTOP. if you can see the cards, youd fold, no second thought.

now the way i see it is at its purest its based on a perfect poker world, where you ahve perfect poker reads and can work out difficult poker math in your head. in interpretting the theory to the real world of poker, especially the type we play online, you do have to go for the overall effect, and not be specific. so in the slightly warped (for the want of a better word) version of the theory, it is most likely your opponant has AK, so your most likely the fave here.

Phill
ps, going back to your origional point, yes, your right. do what i do, go for the theory, where you dont know your opponants cards. then go for the specifics (if at all), where you do.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:05 AM

You're arguing semantics. A play can be the right play against a range of hands and still be the wrong play in "an FTOP sense".
Old 08-11-2004, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Or am I (and other posters) interpretting fsop incorrectly? or am I just talking rubbish?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're basically right, although it really is kind of a semantics argument about what "correct" means - it means whatever you want it to mean.

I think the FTOP is a fine and mostly true statement. It's just not very useful for making poker decisions.

eastbay
Old 08-11-2004, 12:04 PM

Without getting into too much detail, I'm with you on that. FTOP is a nice thing, but it is not a helpful tool, or concept, for making decisions at poker. It is even less relevant for tournament poker, where decisions are many times should be made based upon a much more wider range of factors, besides what is right or wrong in regard to merely your opponent/s' vs. your specific cards. That's my opinion.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:14 PM

I agree hood, the FTOP and being results oriented are two very different concepts, and it is much better not to be results oriented then to try to judge how closely you play to the FTOP.

Here is something else I think about sometimes. Think about how you would play if you knew everyone's cards. I'd be calling preflop at the low level (and raising to get heads up) at just about every moment possible. You'd play a completely different game.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:52 PM

In this example you played it "correctly" with KK. But your opponent still "gains". I don't see any contradiction there. Opponents gaining doesn't necessarily mean you played it wrong. They are two different concepts. I do agree with you on the results oriented stuff though.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Not to be picking... but I think your KK call is wrong either way

There are 6 AA combinations and 8 AK
so (6 * 18% + 8 * 66%) / 14 = 45%

I only did the hard math because my gut feel was that the numbers were against you. But I'm often wrong [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2004, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A good example is the blind Re-Steal Steal thread, I think comments by both durron597 and Erostratus are focused on the results (he had a flush draw) rather than the situation on the flop (you have nothing, he could have absolulely anything). [I mean not to single anyone out, I'm sure I do it too. That thread just encouraged me to write start this one].

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to reply to this thread because I mostly agree with what the other posters were saying, except you mentioned me being results oriented by name so I have to address that. I said I would fold on that flop, in that situation because I can't beat any pair, or any flush draw without an A or a Q, so what am I ahead of? I also said I would push preflop because the poster only has 10xBB. How is that results oriented?
Old 08-11-2004, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Not to be picking... but I think your KK call is wrong either way

I was thinking there were 16 ways to get AK...