Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 06:01 PM

Default AK vs. maniac

Playing $5/$10 NLHE on PS HU against some guy who I think is bad, and if not a maniac, is close to one. He's been raising almost everything preflop to $40-$60, he's raised me a couple of times when he's been on the button and I've lead out $30. I just doubled off him when he bought in for $400, now he buys in for 1k and I have 1k.

I have AK on the button, he leads out for $40. I wanted to raise but I didn't want to make a massive overbet to pot commit myself preflop because I don't think he'll call with anything there (he's not necessarily a calling station, he's extremely agressive). I wanted to raise to $150, but then what happens when no ace flops? I don't feel comfortable auto betting the flop he will call with a tiny piece of the board and I don't want to bluff at it again on the turn. If I check, he might try to take the pot from me on the turn I don't know.

I just called. Flop comes J42o. He leads out $60 into me. He could have me beat, but I think my AK is good. But, is it worth it, trying to make a stand here? He could have a jack, I don't really know. And if I flat call the flop he could very well bet the turn with nothing.

Comments?
Old 08-10-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Re: AK vs. maniac

eek bruiser
Old 08-10-2004, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the post AJ.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:21 PM

will a reraise get you a free card?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:25 PM

i would probably reraise, against ultra aggresive opponents you must make a stand he isnt likely to have anything that can stand a raise unless he is a true maniac..i would never smooth call, were he then to fire a second bet on turn there would be no way to know what to do.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:56 PM

Bruiser, what the [censored] are you talking about? You're playing HU, raise AK preflop.

On the flop he's going to autobet, raise.

I mean, if you aren't willing to throw some money around with AK HU then you shouldn't be playing HU.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, if you aren't willing to throw some money around with AK HU then you shouldn't be playing HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will add that the earlier that money gets tossed around, the more likely it is good.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:21 PM

I guess the concensus is to raise preflop and then take it from there which I will do next time.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:00 PM

The fact that you neglect to say what position the raisor is in shows a fundamental flaw in your thinking at the table. If he's utg in a 10 handed game, your correct play is very different than it would be if he was in the CO of a 5 handed game.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:09 PM

he's heads up.

--turnipmonster