Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 02:47 PM

Default Good example of letting a weak player hang himself

In my home game this past week and interesting hand came up:

game: $20 NL Texas Hold'em, with 0.25/0.50 blinds

I was one away from the small blind, 2 called before me, I look down at A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], knowing the game was tighter than normal I decided to limp in, SB and BB call, check.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Checked to me, I also check, SB, BB, checked (not a normal check for me, I try to be the "aggressive" guy in our games, but I have been noticing some of the newer guys are checking there top pair, which I was hoping to happen)

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], yes, I just hit Quads, first time in a while. Finally, the guy to the right of me throws in an obvious $3 bluff, I call, SB calls, rest fold.

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], the player to my right, pauses then pushes all-in, $33, which was about how much I had, without hesitation I call, SB folds, I immediately show my quad Aces. The guy to my right had 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] showing the "bottom" boat, as I like to call it.

Thinking back on the hand, I guess his only logical reason for thinking he had the best hand was him thinking noone had an ace, thinking they might have bet earlier. I feel I played the hand right, letting someone "catch-up" making that second best hand.

Anyone have any opinions on this hand? Or have another example of a good play on a weaker player?

PS, I call him a weak player from my hours and hours of playing against him. I'm not being a jerk, he just plays poorly most of the time.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Good example of letting a weak player hang himself

you mean "bottom" trips? I don't see the boat?
Old 08-10-2004, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you mean "bottom" trips? I don't see the boat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - on the board. Opponent had 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the hole.

Ten
Old 08-10-2004, 09:14 PM

Duh, yeah. thanks ten. Couldnt see the forest 'cause of looking for a six,( you know bottom card instead of thinking 3of lower #).
Old 08-11-2004, 08:22 AM

Weak? I'd call it having no pulse.

You probably still should not have checked preflop. At LEAST value bet it and hope that someone reraises you and then just flat call.

The 68 may have folded and you wouldn't have taken the pot, so in that regard I guess it was played.

The rest of the play was perfect though I think.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:50 AM

I think your check on the flop worked out this time but might not be the correct play. If another paint card hits your looking at a possible straight and that is a hand your are gonna pay off for all your money. You want to make a medium size bet ESPECIALLY since you said your known as an agressive player and get out the draws. Your play worked perfectly this time but unless your going to be willing to fold when a K or T hits and someone moves in Im not sure if its correct.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:53 AM

Good point. My main reason for not betting them preflop is 1) I knew with 4 other ppl in the hand limping wasn't the best idea, and I really was prepared to throw them if an aweful flop came and someone throw out a sizeable bet. (you may find that hard to believe, but we all know AA isn't indestructible.) and 2) I threw out a 2 dollar bet on 56 suited and couldn't get action 2 hands before, for some reason the table was crazy tight before this hand came up.

I agree, the cards worked out perfectly for me on this hand.