Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Did I play this overpair correctly?

This was a typical Party 0.5/1 table. No one is particularly aggressive nor passive, in general everyone's been playing pretty decent (for a 0.5/1 table). I'm wondering if I should have played this hand differently, particularly the flop:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Should I have called this 3-bet here with just an overpair? I actually had my mouse over the fold button, but decided to call this despite the fact that I knew I was probably behind. In fact, I actually thought about capping, in order to try and get as much money into the pot as possible in case I hit a queen.

Turn: (12 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Should I have 3-bet here or just called? I figured I had the best hand, but wanted to keep BB and UTG in and was afraid they would fold if the had to call 2 bets cold. Looking back, I think I should have 3-bet, as there were no flush draws I wanted to keep around and anyone with a set probably wasn't going to fold at this point.

River: (20 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls $0.75 (All-In), UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Standard play?

Final Pot: 30.75 BB

Tell me how you would have played it. Results to follow.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Did I play this overpair correctly?

.5/1 goes in microlimits.

Flop: if the table is as sane as you say, I think you have to worry one of the raisers beats 1 pair. Still, capping lets you keep control over potential clowns...this IS .5/1 after all...

Turn: the calling stations called 2 before (and do it again on the river), so make them pay.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in general everyone's been playing pretty decent

[/ QUOTE ]

find a new table. you'll have plenty of higher limit games to deal with where everyone is playing decent. spend your time a .5/1 robbing terrible players, its more fun.

[ QUOTE ]
I actually thought about capping, in order to try and get as much money into the pot as possible in case I hit a queen.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you think you are drawing to 2 outs, value raising is terribly wrong. If you are gonna cap here, its because you think you have the best hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have 3-bet here or just called? I figured I had the best hand,

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi. You have QQ, the board is Q954 rainbow. What do you think the chances are you have the best hand?
Old 08-09-2004, 04:03 PM

3-bet then turn, thats the only missed bet you had.

[ QUOTE ]
in general everyone's been playing pretty decent (for a 0.5/1 table).

[/ QUOTE ]

In general I thought that everyone was supposed to play loose and fishy and at the normal$.50/$1.00 party tables?
Old 08-09-2004, 04:16 PM

You have the nuts on the turn.
Raise
Oh and cap the flop too.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
find a new table. you'll have plenty of higher limit games to deal with where everyone is playing decent. spend your time a .5/1 robbing terrible players, its more fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, however what I meant by that was that no one was getting out of line. There were a few players who bet when they should have checked or saw a few too many flops (not enough to be considered loose aggressive or loose passive), but no one was playing terribly, considering the limits.

[ QUOTE ]
if you think you are drawing to 2 outs, value raising is terribly wrong. If you are gonna cap here, its because you think you have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, capping probably would have been wrong here (especially considering my position), but the thought crossed my mind since I thought the original raiser might cap anyways, and capping myself would give me, not him, control over the hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi. You have QQ, the board is Q954 rainbow. What do you think the chances are you have the best hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yeah, I have the nuts at this point, don't know why I typed "figured," as I KNEW I had the best hand... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.5/1 goes in microlimits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do. What's considered the start of "small stakes" then? 1/2 or 2/4?

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: the calling stations called 2 before (and do it again on the river), so make them pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet then turn, thats the only missed bet you had.

[ QUOTE ]
in general everyone's been playing pretty decent (for a 0.5/1 table).

[/ QUOTE ]

In general I thought that everyone was supposed to play loose and fishy and at the normal$.50/$1.00 party tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that I said "for a 0.5/1 table." That doesn't mean great, just not as loose and crazy as usual.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:34 PM

Don't you dare fold this beautiful overpair because of a little noise [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].

Cap the flop. This flop does not make very much and you are very often ahead here. Your limping opponents could have some mixture of nines, straight draws, and JJ/TT. You are certainly ahead more than 1/4 of the time so you are making money by charging the three callers. You put one bet in, they add three, you win the pot more than 1/4 the time and get a profit on your bet.

Another important point is that when you are badly beaten someone else will probably cap anyway. What did you save by not capping? Nothing--you have to call the cap anyway! But they often won't cap when you are ahead and you lose a great chance at an extra 3 SB.

It would also be great to fold an overcard ace or king that BB might have. The cap could be the necessary extra push.

Bombs away on the turn. This is a big pot and people seem to like their hands. They called one so they will probably call two more. Side point: in this situation BB will almost never fold. He is short-stacked and invariably that creates a lemming-like rush to go all-in. Often players in his situation will raise all-in hands that don't remotely warrant a call.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:37 PM

$2/$4 is the lowest limit normally discussed in small stakes.

Microlimit includes $0.01/$0.02 through $1/$2.

Mid-Stakes starts at $10/$20.