Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 01:47 AM

Default WPT Battle of the Champions

Does anyone know if there will be a WPT Battle of the Champions for Season 2? It isn't listed on the WPT website

In another thread I read that NBC will be airing the final table of the Ace among Kings tournament on Super Bowl Sunday in the time slot that was used for the Battle of the Champions last year. I hope the WPT is able to broadcast a Battle of the Champions episode because it was one of my favorites last season (although that clock was pretty lame).
Old 08-10-2004, 01:01 AM

Default Re: WPT Battle of the Champions

My understanding is that they are not doing that this year--which is too bad. But you never know, things could change...
Old 08-10-2004, 04:34 AM

I'd like to see the ratings for the last year's Battle of Champions. They might be lower than one would expect. I can't really put my finger on it, but there was a certain lackluster to the event. Don't get me wrong, I too would be disappointed if WPT didn't hold a 2nd season BoC. Just a theory.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:57 AM

i love watching great players but what was the point. they had a wpt 25k championship to prove who was the best of the year. then they had the toc to prove who was the best of the year. HUH?!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i love watching great players but what was the point. they had a wpt 25k championship to prove who was the best of the year. then they had the toc to prove who was the best of the year. HUH?!

[/ QUOTE ]

For me the appeal of the Battle of the Champions was that you got 6 top-notch players at the table instead of the usual mix of pros and amateurs. Sure, some of the amateurs on the WPT played quite well (like James Tippin and GotMilk), but there have been plenty of others amateurs who were gawdawful (remember Mark Seif vs. Hon Lee?). Personally, I'd love to see a final table with Gus, Greenstein, Lindgren, and de Knijff.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:54 PM

I think instead of battle of champions they're showing the finale of the Poker Superstars Invitational. With Doyle, Chan, Ivey, Hanson, Lederer, Barry Greenstein, and Chip Reese. They each put up 400,000!