Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2004, 01:05 PM

Default playing a set of 3s

Home game, blinds are $.05/.10 so as you can guess given the blinds, the game is relatively loose. 8 players.

I'm in SB with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
4 limp in ahead of me and I complete.

Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 players| pot is 50)
I check intending to raise, it's checked around. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Turn: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet 50c, MP calls.

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet 80c, MP calls.

Should I have check-raised the flop here?
Old 08-08-2004, 01:50 PM

Default Re: playing a set of 3s

The decision to check/raise depends mainly on the post flop aggressiveness of the table. Are the players who are acting late likely to take a shot without a hand here? If they are loose/passive which is often the case at micro limits then it is best to lead out for slightly less than the pot on a safe board with bottom set.

Given that you went for the checkraise I like your play for the rest of the hand, although I would generally overbet the pot on the river rather than underbet it...although your opponent may call slightly less often you'll make enough off the larger bet to make it worthwhile against most players.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:21 PM

Because this is super-microlimit and I was up against a tight player, I was afraid anything over a dollar would scare him away. Also, everyone bought-in for extremely small amounts of money, about $3.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because this is super-microlimit and I was up against a tight player, I was afraid anything over a dollar would scare him away. Also, everyone bought-in for extremely small amounts of money, about $3.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can make that call, since you know those games better than I. If people make loose calls in general however, it is best to extract the maximum.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:24 PM

In most games, when you see a flop like that 5-handed, it is definitly best to go for a check/raise. Five handed flops don't ususally check around unless the board is extremely ugly (which this one isn't).

In a micro game, I would probably lead out, considering that players are much more likely to call with weak hands than bet with them.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:44 PM

good point. They would call me more often than they'd bet their own worse hands. I was really thinking someone would bet out. I guess I just have to know the aggressiveness of my opponents a bit more.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In most games, when you see a flop like that 5-handed, it is definitly best to go for a check/raise. Five handed flops don't ususally check around unless the board is extremely ugly (which this one isn't).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, a queen will likely toss in a raise on this flop and c/r'ing will kill your action on a safe board. Bet out, people will call and decent hands will raise, this is a hand where you should only play passively if there are very aggressive players in the game, even then I like a check call.