Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 04:11 AM

Default UK TV Poker World POker Championship SS3 10pm

Tonight Friday) is the first episode of the World Poker Championship, on Sky Sports 3 at 10 pm and repeated at 1 am on SS2. The series runs for 10 weeks at the same time slot.
This program's line-up includes
Greg Raymer,
Kouresh Arshadnejad,
Julian Gardner,
John Juanda,
Ram Vaswani,
Daniel O'Donovan,
Willow Connelly,
Carlos Mortensen,
Jenny Kaye,
Paul Leckey,
Paul Testud,
John Verly,
Espen Overland,
Ronnie Ystroem,
Alex Haworth
and Kevin O'Connell.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:56 AM

Default Re: UK TV Poker World POker Championship SS3 10pm

Should be good. I hope the production quality is more like WPT than Poker Million though.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:46 AM

is sky sports a british network?

anyone know if this channel is included in most digital cable channel packages? I get channels like TechTV, but I don't get the packages of 18 sports channels.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:32 PM

Nice one! didn't realise this was on
Old 08-07-2004, 01:00 PM

Interesting show, especially seeing and hearing Fossilman in action.

Not sure what was going on with the commentary though - it sounded like it was recorded in a toilet cubicle.

Some very strange play going on too - Ram seemed to be a calling station during the heads up match. Mortenson was unlucky to lose out, the one card flush on the river vs his straight being the crucial hand.

Anyone else have opinions on the coverage?

Sheriff

PS: I can see now why the wide index KEM cards are unpopular with the players. Very difficult to read compared to the narrow index ones.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:23 PM

I thought the poker was interesting, but the production was, frankly, crap. It was great to see so many class players at the same table (Mortenson, Gardner, Vaswani) and of course seeing Fossilman before the Americans [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Hearing Chris Ferguson's thoughts was quite interesting as well.

The production quality, however, was very amateurish. Why have live commentary with so many mistakes? A bit of post production editing/dubbing would make the show so much better.

Also, they hired a professional mid stakes cash game player from London to do the chip counts/updates, why? Why not have a professional announcer? There are many other things which were lacking, not least of which was tension/suspense.

Its always good to see poker on TV, but I'd rather have the WPT.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:10 PM

Production quality wasnt good but the poker made up for it and I think the commentary although had mistakes showed an good insight into the play and how others would play.

Think the continuity wasnt great, and the beginning why intoduce everyone and waste time before then having a segment of them busting out, may as well show just the busting out.

I enjoyed the more layed back feel of it though no over celebrating milking the crowd etc just a nice game of poker with the addition of 2 wsop winners another finalist and a clueless internet player (why he folded his 10's I will never know).

As an aside I have played with the guy called Alex who busted out 10th he won his seat via a satellite at the gutshot.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think the continuity wasnt great, and the beginning why intoduce everyone and waste time before then having a segment of them busting out, may as well show just the busting out.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is this was to give them some exposure on TV. Many players had sponsorship deals but the coverage of only the final six meant that most of these wouldn't have had any TV time.

At least it means Eugeneel will be guaranteed a brief moment of fame in a later heat!

Sheriff