Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 05:12 PM

Default Slowplay this flush???

8 players in a home game. Blinds .25/.50 and I have about 50 bucks in front of me. I forget the stacks of all the players, but most ranged from 25 to 50 dollars.

Preflop: Hero: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in UTG+1
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP calls, 2 folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks

Flop 6 players $3 J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Checked around to Button who bets $2, SB and BB fold, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP calls

Turn 4 players $11 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Checked to Button who bets $2, all 3 call

River 4 players $19 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG checks, Hero's turn...

Alright, I'm in this fairly decent sized pot with the three loosest players at the table. I know these guys very well, and when a pot this size is checked to MP he will typically take a $5 stab at the pot. If he does check, the button will still bet his usual $2 because that's what he has been doing the whole night on gold and on trash. UTG is calling station, so if one of those players bets he will call with anything. However, the checks have been rare from MP and I don't want the Button to check with just an overcard or something. Do I bet here, knowing my queen high flush is good or take my chances and hope for a check/big raise???
Results in white below:
<font color="white"> I check, MP checks, and Button thinks a long time then checks. I flip my cards, and two muck immeadiately, button shows pocket deuces. I get sneered at by UTG by not betting my flush. </font>
Old 08-05-2004, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Slowplay this flush???

it sounds like you weren't worried of a higher flush so why not bet out. you know you're gonna get a caller and maybe a raise over the top, which is what you wanted. either way you put $$ in the pot and you get a caller.

If you were worried of a higher flush, i think it was the right play since you were out of position and would have been in a difficult situation if they went over the top, so checking would have made sense.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:44 PM

First things first, Q7 soooooted from EP? Don't do that again.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:41 AM

Not so! I remember this one time I played Q5s from MP (just because I folded for 3 orbits straight, got bored and said screw it) and hit both my 5's! So, see? It's all about knowing what cards are going to come on the flop.

Kirk R.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:19 AM

Bet it. The third flush card is a scare card especially when people keep calling. He'll probably check it down unless he has a pretty strong hand (in which case he'll call your bet). Further, by betting it you may get paid off by the others in the pot. Check raising will give away your hand and you probably won't get paid off. Therefore, checking here seems high risk/low return.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:48 PM

On the river, unless I am almost certain that someone will bet I am going to make a moderate bet here. When that third card comes for the flush most decent players, who can't beat a flush, aren't going to bet with so many people left in the pot.