Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 05:19 AM

Default flopped nut straight, badly played?

Ok, I'm pretty sure I played badly here, but I'd like to know if you all think I should fold this turn or river.

No player-specific reads but I've generally seen a lot of people betting 2nd pair (or worse) from early position on many flops.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

I see no point in slow-playing as this must have hit somebody.

Turn: (6.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

I was worried about the spade, but also didn't want to see monsters under the bed. Also, if SB has just hit trip Jacks then I'm still ahead. I've got zero outs if I'm behind, though, so I'd have to fold to a re-raise, correct?.

River: (12.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

At this point I was very concerned that everyone had a K I'd be folding a split hand. That was my only reasoning. I thought any flush would have re-raised the turn, as would JT and AJ. Am I being fishy?

Final Pot: 21.50 BB
Old 08-05-2004, 06:52 AM

Default Re: flopped nut straight, badly played?

I see no major mistakes in your play. The only thing I do differently is raise preflop.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:03 AM

Should I be raising 2 UTG limpers with this hand? I don't think it plays very well multi-way. If it was suited, I would raise. If I was opening, I would raise. But after 2 early limpers, is this really worth a value pre-flop raise?
Old 08-05-2004, 07:52 AM

I would raise pre-flop too.

The main reason you want to raise pre-flop is exactly that you don't want to be the pot to be multiway here. If you limp in you can expect to get more callers after you.

You also want to buy that button for sure (you got it anyway here but normally you wouldnt).
Old 08-05-2004, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I be raising 2 UTG limpers with this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I be raising 2 UTG limpers with this hand? I don't think it plays very well multi-way. If it was suited, I would raise. If I was opening, I would raise. But after 2 early limpers, is this really worth a value pre-flop raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a mistake I fell into at one point as well. And it is a mistake. If you pair your king or queen your hand will unoubtedly be stronger than the two guys that limped in. And even if you get cold callers behind you, K-Q only gets out-kicked by one hand, so its pretty darn strong.

--Zetack
Old 08-05-2004, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At this point I was very concerned that everyone had a K I'd be folding a split hand

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising PF may have gotten rid of some of those who limp in with hands that only make one card to the straight. Another reason to raise PF here.

Chris