Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Tough situation with AK - thoughts?

pokerroom $0.25/$0.50. I am in the SB with AK.

Had some fairly good reads on the players. Seat 4 was a huge idiot (let's call him "moby-dick"). Seat 6 was semi-solid and weak tight (let's call him "small-fry") but moby had him on tilt after sucking out many times, the latest with J4o against small-fry's AK tptk. small-fry wanted to bust this guy so bad, I could smell it over the telephone line.

Texas Hold'em $0.25-$0.50 (real money)
Table Lae, 4 Aug 2004 2:02 PM ET

Seat 1: ($23.20 in chips)
Seat 2: ($5.50 in chips)
Seat 3: Q8offsuit ($239.30 in chips)
Seat 4: moby-dick ($14 in chips)
Seat 6: small-fry ($15.95 in chips)
Seat 7: ($29.70 in chips)
Seat 10: ($28.95 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
Q8offsuit posts blind ($0.10), moby-dick posts blind ($0.25).

PRE-FLOP
small-fry bets $0.50, 1 fold, unimportant bets $0.75, 2 folds, Q8offsuit bets $0.90, moby-dick calls $0.75, small-fry calls $0.50, unimportant calls $0.25.

FLOP [ 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Q8offsuit bets $0.25, moby-dick calls $0.25, small-fry bets $0.50, unimportant calls $0.50, Q8offsuit bets $0.50, moby-dick calls $0.50, small-fry bets $0.50, unimportant calls $0.50, Q8offsuit calls $0.25, moby-dick calls $0.25.

TURN [ 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
Q8offsuit checks, moby-dick checks, small-fry bets $0.50, unimportant calls $0.50, Q8offsuit calls $0.50, moby-dick calls $0.50.

RIVER [ 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
Q8offsuit checks, moby-dick checks, small-fry bets $0.50, unimportant folds, Q8offsuit calls $0.50, moby-dick bets $1, small-fry bets $1, Q8offsuit calls $1, moby-dick bets $1, small-fry calls $0.50, Q8offsuit calls $0.50.

SHOWDOWN
moby-dick shows [ 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
small-fry shows [ A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
Q8offsuit mucks cards [ A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
small-fry wins $15.20.

SUMMARY
Pot: $16 | Rake: $0.80
Q8offsuit loses $4.50
moby-dick loses $4.50
small-fry bets $4.50, collects $15.20, net $10.70
unimportant loses $2.50

Damn- a 30+ BB pot and I put 9 of them in there.

Thoughts on all streets greatly appreciated, but especially:

1- should I have raised the turn? after two straight caps pre-flop and on the flop I was starting to worry about AA, TT, 99, or ATs from small-fry.

2- fold to 2 cold on the river? I just couldn't do it considering the pot size and the fact that I knew moby-dick probably had nothing.

3- 3-betting AK preflop out of the SB at these limits?

Could I have lost less money on this hand?
Old 08-04-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Tough situation with AK - thoughts?

raise raise raise PF against a nutter and a tilter,
cap the flop
lead and reraise the turn
and sweat about the river but see it anyway (don't be the one raising)

at least that's what i'd do!

Pete Harris
Old 08-04-2004, 02:48 PM

After getting my eyes uncrossed, I think I would be capping the flop.... dang small fry did that (after furhter review).

Ok then.... bet out on the turn, if a weak-tight player raises you there, then I'm scared and may fold. A weak-tight player raises UTG and caps the flop. I think you're toast. ATs, TT, AA (maybe not, since not capped pf), 99?. You may have AQ beat. You would have KK beat, but weak-tight won't cap flop on that and would probably cap pf.

I don't see many hands that you have beat on the turn (now this may just be weak-tight advice on how to play a weak-tight player), but I've lost enough money to them. This pot is huge, so my first tendency is to call down.

So, I summary, I think you played well.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise raise raise PF against a nutter and a tilter,
cap the flop
lead and reraise the turn
and sweat about the river but see it anyway (don't be the one raising)

at least that's what i'd do!

Pete Harris

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

It's hard to see, but he did raise raise raise pf (last raise in). And the flop was capped before back to him. (or, at least, I think that's how it went down).

He didn't, however, lead the turn.