Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 02:28 PM

Default Choosing a Pokerstars Username - A Strategic Approach

Has anyone considered the profit implications their choice of username/icon has in online gambling? Seems to me that if you choose a poker related username, capitalize the first character, and use a poker related icon, your bets will get a lot more respect and you can steal a higher % of hands.

On the other hand, if you choose something like "doggiestyle44" as your username, and don't use an icon, I would suspect you could get a much higher percentage of your big bets paid off.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Re-reading this, my wording was too strong. It would obviously have a pretty small impact, but every edge helps.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Choosing a Pokerstars Username - A Strategic Approach

The next time Party lets me change my name I'm going to make it "IMFRM2+2".

So no, I don't think about the implications of my username. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-- Homer
Old 08-04-2004, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems to me that if you choose a poker related username, capitalize the first character, and use a poker related icon, your bets will get a lot more respect and you can steal a higher % of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've seen, nobody really takes that stuff seriously. Anytime I see somebody with a poker-themed name, they usually have no idea what they are doing.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:37 PM

The book "killer online poker" has a page devoted to this. I skimmed through it but I believe he suggested not to use names such as PokerWinner, Ieatfish, ivebeenplayingpokerfortwentyyears, etc...
Choose names that decieve and fly under the radar.
Use names like AuntBetsy or something. Mine is my license plate on my car with one letter removed which makes no damn sense at all.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:41 PM

in poker women dont get alot of respect. while i dont agree with this the mindset is there. i think names like big momma and lil girl might get you a very small fraction more income. of course it prob wouldnt be worth being hit on by every adolescent geek in the room with you wife and kids watching. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2004, 02:48 PM

I have a pic of a girl as my photo and for some reason, everyone thinks it's a pic of me. Can't tell you how many times I'm hit on... I lead them on for a while before I tell them I'm a guy and totally tilt them. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2004, 03:20 PM

The two that work on me are Rounders nicks and Bingo-style nicks like "HotGranny" or "PJsPopPop". If you're a good player with one of those, you'll definitely get some chips off me before I start giving you any credit.

I'd try it myself, but I'm afraid I'll get good at this someday and Norman Chad will talk about how I play online as "SeniorSexy"

Martin
Old 08-04-2004, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The two that work on me are Rounders nicks and Bingo-style nicks like "HotGranny" or "PJsPopPop". If you're a good player with one of those, you'll definitely get some chips off me before I start giving you any credit.

I'd try it myself, but I'm afraid I'll get good at this someday and Norman Chad will talk about how I play online as "SeniorSexy"

Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao!