Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 11:19 PM

Default Terrible hand out of position (not AQ)

This is an odd hand, I dont really need any advice preflop, (youll see why in a minute), but would love to know how others play the turn and the river.

First the background:

Ive been at this table for a while and it is sllllow. No preflop raises being called, and a bet on the flop taking the hand down. I hate playing in games like this so I decide to try and loosen the table up a bit. I raise utg with J2. All fold to the Small Blind who goes all in for another 10$. I didnt realise he was so short stacked. I called and won. Anyway that raised one or two comments. Next orbit I get AKs utg & raise again. One caller and one reraiser who is only left with about 80$. I put him all in and win unimproved AK vs AQ.

Full table (9 handed), 2 4$ Blinds, and Im utg with 27s.
I have around 600$, villain has $500, other stacks arent important.

I raise to 20$ (standard raise). All fold to the villain two off the button who calls.

Flop is 10 7 3r. I think for a while and bet 38$. Sometimes with an overpair I'll bet here, sometimes check raise, so I think this is ok. He calls.

2 to the turn, $122 in the pot.

next card is a 4, of my suit.

I check (as I want to see the river but dont want to face a reraise).

He bets $50.

At this point Im pretty sure he has an over pair, QQ or JJ most likely, KK or AA are possibilites, but it doesnt make any difererence so I didnt worry too much about it. If he had AK here I think he would take the free card. If he had a set he would check.

I was planning not to call a pot sized reraise, but 50 seemed about right. Im pretty sure he'd call a medium bet if I hit my flush.

2 to the river, $222 in the pot.

River is a 7, giving me trips. I think for a second and raise $300. My thinking is, if he has a set hes getting my whole stack here, But Im pretty sure Ill get paid of by any overpair.In fact I think hell push here. I (obviously) want this to look like a missed flush desperation bluff.

All comments welcome!
Old 08-04-2004, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Terrible hand out of position (not AQ)

I think you already did enough advertising, so I'd never make this play UTG, there's just too much of a chance of a hand behind you, especially since they've seen you do it already w/ garbage, you should wait for a good hand.

That being said, a bet or CR on the flop is mandatory, and I like the check call w/ the flush draw / pair, and I like the bet on the river as it's very deceptive, especially given your image. Unless he has TT, you're gold...
Old 08-04-2004, 05:01 AM

preflop - i put you on miller lite.

flop - fine.

turn - player- and situation-dependent whether to lead or check.

river - i like leading big here against weak players. that's because they pay you off. it's not because they put you on a busted flush draw that you picked up on the turn. it's because they call way too much. the big bet gives him the opportunity to make his usual big mistake.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:07 PM

"preflop - i put you on miller lite."

I am not entirely sure about this one. This play looks more like a 3 Horseman (shot of Jose, Jack, and Jim) to me.