Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 02:24 PM

Default The great (starting hand) debate

David Sklansky suggests that we play just under 50% of our hands in HUHE situations. These hands include any suited connectors from 45s on up and any two cards that are 8 or better.

What about 3 to 6 handed? Are suited low and mid suited connectors out? What about the over 8 rule? Would it be reasonable to say that 3 to 4 handed could play any two over 9? 5 and 6, and two over T? When do those suited connectors get thrown out?

What I’m talking about here are pure starting hand requirements that take no opponents’ tendencies into account.

I throw it open to debate.

Marlow [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Re: The great (starting hand) debate

If you play HEHU without taking opponents tendencies into account you might as well just burn your buy-in.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:00 PM

True, but if you don't know what to play, your reads are worthless.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True, but if you don't know what to play, your reads are worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cute comeback, but that's hardly true.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:52 PM

By the way, do some searching. This is the first question every newcomer here asks, so there's plenty of material out there already.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:12 PM

hi,

i asked this question and got no response, so im gonna say that if you've taken the starting hand from hpfap then its a pos question. ie what is early, middle late.

i would probably just add one more group to each as well, for example early is suggested at 1-4 maybe 5, i would say 1-5 maybe 6.

i am most likely to be wrong but i hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, do some searching. This is the first question every newcomer here asks, so there's plenty of material out there already.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will. Thanks. From the content of these replies to my post, though, it doesn't sound like there really IS a standard. I've been playing for a while and am quite comfy short handed, but heads-up is always a big problem for me. Never know exactly what to push or how hard. I feel like there have to be at least SOME immutable truths.

Here's a question: the hands layed out in my original post... am I commiting suicide if I DO use these standards? There are lots of people on this post who give numbers like 25%. This seems low to me. This is why I'm asking.

I look forward to anyone's feedback.

Marlow [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]