Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 11:24 AM

Default What do you think of this aggressive SSHE strategy?

I was playing .25/.50 last night and came across a player who, at first glance, seemed like a maniac but upon closer inspection seemed to be playing quite smart. The table was very tight, with usually not more than four people seeing the flop. The player in question was seated directly to my right and raised almost every hand preflop. Only a few players caught on and began re-raising him, and he would cap with his really great hands. About half the time this left him heads up before the flop, allowing him to win a lot of hands, but also giving his BR high variance. The part I liked the most about this aggressive strategy is that no one believed him when he really did have a legitamate hand; and as a result he pulled down some monstrous pots against fed-up tight players. What do you think about this strategy given the table conditions?
I countered this strategy by reraising him more frequently preflop with my better hands. This forced him to respect my raise b/c he knew I usually had something. What do you think about this counter strategy?
Old 08-03-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: What do you think of this aggressive SSHE strategy?

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think about this strategy given the table conditions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that he's a donkey.

~D
Old 08-03-2004, 01:16 PM

Once the table adjusted and he was no longer stealing blinds he was just losing money being that aggressive. Think about it-- he is in there preflop for 3+ bets with the worst hand. How could that be a good strategy? He got lucky and hit a bunch of hands and got paid off-- that is how it always works with a maniac. More often than not he will steadily lose his money raising up his trash until he busts out.

Your counter strategy is exactly right. He raises on hands much worse than the one you have so you should 3 bet to make him pay for his mistake and to also, hopefully, get to play the pot heads up against a guy with a worst hand.

-rory
Old 08-03-2004, 03:02 PM

For fun, every once in a while, particularly when I feel that I am starting to play weak tight, I drop down to .50/1.00 and play with one rule: Never Call. Bet, raise, or fold. I have never had a losing session doing this, though it has probably been only 4 or 5 times which means it is statistically irrelevant.

People make the mistake of thinking I am a maniac, and start playing bad hands against me, thinking that they likely have a better hand, but their mistake is not realizing the decision is to never just call, not to simply raising anything. I remember once I had AK on the button, and flopped a set of K, capped flop turn and river, and I was shown J high.