Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 09:47 AM

Default Did I turn into a weak man here?

B&M 3/6 game. Typical, very loose, and I mean any two cards. I normally play 6/12 except when Carl and his wife Betty are at the 3/6 table. My two favorite. Carl calls every bet and never raises no matter what he holds. His wife is only slightly better. Sure, you take some rough hits, but they pay you eventually.

Any way, utg with two red queens. I limp, a raise will do nothing in this spot. Carl and Betty call and the button raises. Two blinds fold. I put in the third bet, same two callers and the button caps it. He's got AA almost guaranteed. Flop comes Jc Qs 6c. I bet out, two callers, button raises and I cap it. Wonderful. Turn is the 2c.
Well, the flush is certainly possible and I bet out anyway. Carl call and Betty now raises. Damn. Button calls and I just call???

River is a 7d. I check?? and prepared to put in my crying call. It gets checked around??

My three queens are good and I drag down a nice pot. But I don't know if I was right to slow down here or not. Was it weak to slow down or was the third club a significant enough scare card in this game? Am I beat here often enough that I was right to gear down?

I'd appreciate some discussion because I can't get over the feeling I left several bets on the table.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2004, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Did I turn into a weak man here?

Any way, utg with two red queens. I limp, a raise will do nothing in this spot.

Ehhh?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:52 AM

Sure, you take some rough hits, but they pay you eventually.

This was exciting to read as it seems you understand some things but how quickly that turned when I read this:

Any way, utg with two red queens. I limp, a raise will do nothing in this spot

What you have to understand is that you have the 3rd best hand you can be dealt in Hold'em. You raise to get money in the pot as you are getting an overlay from the players who call you with weaker holdings. You need to take advantage of your opponents preflop errors.

Flop comes Jc Qs 6c. I bet out, two callers, button raises and I cap it

Did someone else raise the flop and the button 3-bet? There is action missing in your post as you cannot cap when only the button raised.

Damn. Button calls and I just call???

Versus such loose aggresive opponents you should 3-bet the turn every time. Not only do you likely have the best hand you have plenty of room to improve.

Welcome to the forum if you have been already,
Joe Tall
Old 08-03-2004, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke?
Old 08-03-2004, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop comes Jc Qs 6c. I bet out, two callers, button raises and I cap it

Did someone else raise the flop and the button 3-bet? There is action missing in your post as you cannot cap when only the button raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. The button raised, I re-raised and he then put in the last raise.

Looks like I messed up this hand in a couple more ways than I thought. I know there was an error in my thinking by not raising with the queens initially. I still have a psychological issue with them. The dumb thing is that I re-raised with them after someone showed strength. I need to work on this among other things in my game.

Thank you for responding.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:48 AM

No, not a joke. An error.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:50 AM

The dumb thing is that I re-raised with them after someone showed strength. I need to work on this among other things in my game.

Limp-re-raising in this type of game w/premium holdings like AA, KK, QQ and even AK can be quite profitable. QQ is on the questionable end of a limp re-raise but it's fine.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 08-03-2004, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Carl calls every bet and never raises no matter what he holds. His wife is only slightly better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think these two contradict each other... which makes me too confused to read the rest of the post.

However, I get the gist that you have a big hand UTG and hit a set on a twotone board. I'd bet, raise, reraise, cap, bet, bet, etc. on the flop. Turn, when a flush card hits, I bet and 3 bet if given the opportunity. Even if there is a flush, you have 10 outs. River is a blank... it's important to bet out here with a set. If you are raised, THEN the crying call can go into the pot, if you feel the urge.

Finally, Carl had a A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 and Betty had a J2o.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:05 PM

Without a specific read on the turn raiser as a TAG or rock, I reraise the turn and call a cap, and call the river unimproved.