Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 02:22 AM

Default PS $11RB crucial hand QQ VS 2 all ins

Stars 10+1 rebuy.. crucial hand at 140/1000 players left.
Blinds are at 100 ante, blinds 1000/2000. I'm UTG and find Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I am a medium stack at the table and bring it in for 6k. I get raised all in for about 2k more, and right behind him a LAG moves in for his whole stack, which is 14k on top, which by calling would leave me basically dead if i lost - with 1700. I think that player A may have me beat since she rarely moves over the top without a huge hand. Player B is LAG, and his raise over the top looks like he was trying to shut me out with AK or a lower pocket pair. A few hands before the table saw me overplay an A9 from UTG which is not usually my style but I'm sure it affected this play. I was at around 80th place of 140 left, and I decided to try to make the big money rather than play safe and have to sneak in. This is questionable since by folding to the additional 16k raise I would still be OK for 2 rounds or so, until the blinds increased to 1500/3000. Anyway, it's pretty interesting what happened.. so I'm not sure how bad of a call this was preflop.. or was it?? ..

The relevant stacks are:
Hero (T24209)
Player A (T8405)
Player B (T22769)

Hero(UTG): raises 4000 to 6000
Player A: raises 2305 to 8305 and is all-in
2 folds
Player B: raises 14364 to 22669 and is all-in
4 folds
iMTHaDoCTA: calls 16669

*** FLOP *** [8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
*** TURN *** [4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
*** RIVER *** [K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
results in white:
Hero shows [Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (two pair, Queens and Eights) <font color="white">
Player B: shows [J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] (a full house, Jacks full of Eights)
Player B collected 28728 from side pot
Player A shows [K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] (a full house, Kings full of Eights)
Player A collected 28815 from main pot
</font>

So is this play "-EV" (I don't use the term much)? If I wasn't unlucky as to have it flop a jack I would have taken in a 28K pot, which would have me 4k ahead of where I was before the hand. If I had folded I would be left with 17k and probably be able to pick a better spot, but given the size of the other stacks at the table I thought I was better off getting my money in now rather than get called when I'm short and have no more leverage. Any comments appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-03-2004, 02:53 AM

Default Re: PS $11RB crucial hand QQ VS 2 all ins

Being as you showed down two Qd in your hand I think you have bigger things to worry about.

Other then that it is hard to lay down QQ online preflop, and the only time I would consider it is after two substantial all ins. I would be more affraid of the second all in then the first. It would all depend on how he has been playing before and what my gut told me. I have layed it down in this situation before though.