Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 11:20 PM

Default What strategy to use?

Every week I play in a local tourney here, about 150 or so people. The second week I knew almost nothing and won. However, now that I have read and use more percentage plays I always seem to lose to some amazing hand. Like last week, I raise all in with two high pair when I know the other guy is on a flush draw. He immediately calls and flips over the two spades I suspected that he had, of course he gets the flush. If this happens once then I just count it up as bad luck, but it seems to happen every week. Some moron puts me out with a low percentage play, and catches his card on the river. Is there a strategy that I should use against these opponents?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:01 AM

Default Re: What strategy to use?

I am a newb so i don't really know the answer to your question, but let me point out that if you go all-in against a flush draw 3 times every tournament and are called, on average you'll lose every tournament.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:51 PM

Thanks for your response, but your information is incorrect. The chances of getting a flush on the river is about 18% assuming you have the typical 9 outs. That would mean that I would win 82% of the time a little better than 4 of 5 hands. However, it doesn't seem to be working like that. I don't question my play, it was a good one and a good opponent would have laid down the flush when faced with an allin. My question here is what strategy should I use against these gung ho guys who aren't smart about how they play.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:25 PM

that is assuming they have the same amount of chips as you each time.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:26 PM

You are just getting unlucky.
I know how frustrating that can be.
But just remember, all you can do is get your money in with the best of it.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:48 PM

well lets look at it! This guy,I am assumining is a loose-agressive player. If you check, he will probably check looking for the free card, but why check right? You have two pair. So you bet, reasonable, say 25% over the pot. He is going to call on the draw, right?

It was bad beat.

Knowing he is a LAP you shouldn't have risked your whole stack. Maybe bet, like I said above, playing it cautionously. Like you hear so many times...better to win a small one than lose a big one.

He is going to call you all the way down anyway, why risk so much? Just my thoughts.

Sparrowhawk
Old 08-04-2004, 05:43 AM

The key is to get your stacks size big enough to absorb a couple of these beats. Should be your first priority.

Second... don't blow your load all at once. Meaning, leave yourself a way out of the hand if necessary.

outs
Old 08-04-2004, 08:08 AM

How bout betting out pot sized post flop and then push on turn if he doesnt hit his flush then?