Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 09:54 PM

Default Like thoughts on these plays please

5$, 10 person sit-and-go. Down to 6. I'm the small stack with T865. Chip leader is ~T2400. Blinds 25/50. Average table ability.

Hand 1: I'm on the BB with A6o. UTG folds, other 4 call the BB. I raised all in. Since there wasn't a pre-flop raise I didn't put anyone on a high pair or A & face card. by going all-in I'm pushing the issue and hope everyone folds since it'd be a major chip commitment to everyone but the chip leader and he'd be committing 1/3 of his chips. Results: everyone folds and I take the $250 pot.

Next hand I'm on the SB QQ. Button - 1 folds, everyone else calls the BB so there's $225 in the pot. I raise all-in again to again take the pot right there. since its about 1/4 my stack size I figured I wanted to take it right there but if someone thought I was bluffing I might get a call from a low pair or Ax. Results: Everyone folds again putting me up to T1215.

Next hand on the button with QQ again. Same guy folds but UTG and UTG+2 both call the BB. There's another T75 in the pot from the blinds making it T175. This was the toughest one for me. I wanted to cut the field but with me going all-in on the previous 2 hands I figured someone would be frustrated enough to call whatever I bet. My decision - push all in for the 3rd time. Results: everyone folded, again.

After the last push the person to my right really started whining saying I could have made a ton more chips, how could I raise all-in when he had Ax...yadda....yadda...yadda. I ignored him but did note that with the whining he might be on tilt so I pushed back at him and stole a couple more hands from him till I backed off. When it was all said and done I was up to almost 3rd in chip position and a decent lead on 4th, 5th, and 6th.

Think I was too agressive with any of the hands? I thought it was the correct play with the first 2 since I was sitting in last and needed to make a move if I was going to have a shot at winning. There's always the chance I could have gotten more chips but....

-Geng
Old 08-03-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Like thoughts on these plays please

Personally I don't like your all in raise with the Ace. With the big blind at 50 you shouldn't be in all-in or fold mode. If you wanted to steal the pot I'd suggest a largish raise (3-4xBB) but I think that all-in was extreme. I could be wrong though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I like your other plays however... to not go in that second time w/queens would be BAD, IMHO.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:38 PM

I don't like the first push. The hand is too weak for the number of players and the relatively low blinds.

The other 2 are fine, and on the second you are in that great position where you have a big hand and everyone thinking you don't. IMO, you have to push/put in a big raise here because your callers are going ot be looser than normal.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you wanted to steal the pot I'd suggest a largish raise (3-4xBB)

[/ QUOTE ]
A 3-4BB raise here is much worse than going all-in, in fact I would expect that move to get two callers. At any rate, stealing from the BB is a risky move with this many limpers and only A6o (you can count on being behind if anyone calls) because many people will limp-call with middle pocket pairs. I like the play if the table is playing tight, but I have seen very few $5 or $10 tables play tight at the 25/50 level.