Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 08:20 PM

Default KTs UTG+1

Trying to apply some SSHE learnin' in this hand. How'd I do?

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

River: (16 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB

-b
Old 08-02-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Re: KTs UTG+1

That looks great, but did SSHE change the way you played this from before?
Old 08-02-2004, 10:09 PM

I think you played this quite well.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:20 PM

did SSHE change the way you played this from before?

Slightly -- I still probably would have made the turn semi-bluff and obviously the played river the same, but I would have gone passive with TPGK after SB bet out and ignored MP3's preflop raise and lost a few bets.

In this case, I figured making the preflop raiser call two cold was probably the best way to protect my hand and give him incorrect odds to draw if his preflop hand was strong but missed this flop completely. Is this good reasoning? Then I'd slow to a three-bet and see the turn card.

-b
Old 08-02-2004, 10:46 PM

Would you have just called SB's turn bet if the turn was not a heart?
Old 08-02-2004, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Slightly -- I still probably would have made the turn semi-bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not really a semi-bluff here. This seems like a minor point but it isnt really. It leads right into the question the previous poster asked about what you would do if the turn isnt a heart.

Chris
Old 08-02-2004, 10:54 PM

Would the pre-SSHE me have just called if SB bet out on the turn? Barring any reads, probably. If he slowed on the flop to my reraise but bet out again on the turn, I'd probably have gotten passive assuming he improved where I did not.

If I were playing that hypothetical situation today, I'd still have raised him on the turn and slowed to a 3-bet.

-b
Old 08-02-2004, 11:12 PM

This is not really a semi-bluff here. This seems like a minor point but it isnt really. It leads right into the question the previous poster asked about what you would do if the turn isnt a heart.

In the hand as I posted it, no, it wasn't a pure semi-bluff, as there was a decent chance my hand was best.

But my point (I think) was that pre-SSHE, I would have (wrongly) assumed that I was behind SB on the flop when he bet into the field regardless of MP3's preflop raise. In that case, I would have played the turn passively if no heart fell. On the other hand, I would have raised the turn as a semi-bluff if a heart did fall since I didn't think my hand was any good as it stood but had a good chance to outdraw any callers if a heart fell on the river.

Let me clarify slightly what the old me would have thought and done and what the new me would think and do:

Old me:

Flop: Okay, I flopped TPGK and a backdoor flush draw, but SB bet out with disregard to MP3's preflop raise. I'm probably behind, so I'll play passively.

Turn (heart): Alright, my kings are probably no good, but I picked up the second nut flush draw and raise as a semi-bluff.

Turn (no heart): No improvement, SB's still betting out into the field. I'll call.

New me:

Flop: Okay, I flopped TPGK and a backdoor flush draw, and SB bet out with disregard to MP3's preflop raise. I've got good position to try and protect my hand, and my kings are probably best at the moment. I'll slow to a 3-bet and see the turn. &lt;--- SSHE learnin'

Turn (heart): Alright, my kings are probably still good as that three likely didn't help anyone, and I also picked up the second nut flush draw. Sounds like it's time to raise for value.

Turn (no heart): No improvement, but I've got no reason to think this blank helped anyone so I've got no reason to think my kings aren't best until someone 3-bets me and tells me different. &lt;--- SSHE learnin'

Sorry for the confusion, it's hard to talk about how you'd do something now vs. how you'd do it then without muddying the waters. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-b