Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 02:42 PM

Default Sit N Go Books?

I started playing small stakes limit hold-em a few months ago and bought WLLH which helped my limit game as well as my overall basic understanding of hold-em, but I wasn't doing very well. I've since moved over to $5+.50 SnGs almost exclusively, and while I've been doing good (showing a decent profit after 50 SnGs, though I know that's a tiny sample), I know there's plenty of room for improvement.

With that being said, what books are there out there that would help with my SnG play? I've also been thinking of trying more MTTs since I placed ITM in one the other night (tried it on a whim) so a book that could help me with both of these types of tournaments would be nice.

I'm already picking up The Theory of Poker as I've heard its a must read for any poker player, but what else should I get? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 08-02-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Sit N Go Books?

As far as I know there isn't a book targeted directly at NL or Limit s'n'g's. There is a McEvoy book targeted towards Satellites, which is fairly close ( there is a difference though in that s'n'g's generally pay the top 3 and satellites are winner takes all ). The book is ok. For right now, eventhough these aren't written for s'n'g's, the best advice you can get seems to be in Super System and the Ciaffone/Reuben NL book. However, I expect this to change soon, there are many books on the horizon:
Super System II, NL Poker by Ciaffone, a Greg Raymer book, and 2 Harrington books.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:38 PM

Hmmm, maybe in addition to Theory of Poker I'll pick up THFAP and hold off on any other books until the above mentioned are released. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:47 PM

Ah yes I forgot about TPFAP, i think you're referring to Tournament Poker For Advanced Players? I think there is some very good advice for new tourney players in there. I don't feel there is enough advice to rate the book as oustanding though.