Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 12:20 PM

Default I thought it was genius

5 BB NL
I have been playing with the villain for awhile, and he is a smart player who will make a play if given the oppurtunity.

I have AdKd(267) UTG, i limp looking to reraise(this was something i have never done before, but i kinda wanted to pick up an easy pot at a table that was being raised pre flop more often than not.) Folded to MP+1 who raises to 15, CO(300) calls, i make it 40, MP+1 folds, CO calls.

Flop Ah4c2d
I bet 30, he makes it 60, i think for awhile and then call.

Now I have not limp raised UTG in a month or so, and most players read that as AA/KK i think. I was hoping he would have a weaker A and put me on KK w my weak flop play.

Turn 8s

I check, he pushes for 200(I have 150), i quickly call.

Was it?
Old 08-02-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: I thought it was genius

Sorry, but no. I'm all for limp-re-raising with hands other than AA and KK, but you need to raise it more. Your raise was only 25 more, giving two players the opportunity to call with good odds for their money. You need to make a strong raise if you're gonna do it. Half-assing it just gets you into trouble.

Another problem with this small raise and the rarity with which you make this move is that you have narrowly defined your hand to your opponents. If I was playing you this hand and had deep money, I'd gladly call this almost min-raise with a small pocket pair. If I flop a set, I'm pretty confident that I may bust you, because you have in essence told me pre-flop that you have aces or kings.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:44 PM

Chances he has AA? Very slim.
Chances he has AK? Possible, but not likely.
Chances he has a set, like 88? Possible.
Chances he has A-x? Much more likely.

If he happened to beat you with two pair (A-4, A-2, A-8), then so be it, but he obviously didn't play it as "optimally" as possible. If I were your opponent, I'd put you on KK, and think I had you beat with any Ace. In fact, I put your opponent on AQ/AJ in this hand.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:47 PM

Default Results

Well he had AJ just like u thought Richie, and, of course, a J came on the river. Ocho thanks for the advice, looking back i agree I should have raised more preflop.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:23 AM

super easy flop and turn calls. checking the turn too