Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2004, 12:24 PM

Default starting hand issues at single table tourneys

I've been playing poker for 2 or 3 months live with friends for a $5 buy-in NL tournament. It's normally 6-8 people and lots of times people come in with hands that the Sklansky books advise against and a lot of times they don't pay attention to position. yay for me right? But I'm afraid if I tighten up too much I could be losing on potential profits. What I mean by that is instead of calling A-10o with a bunch of loose players from EP, if I folded, I would be losing out on those that played any ace, but I would be screwed against those playing AJo or higher. Additionally, as I mentioned before, there are typically 6-8 players in a flop, less than the standard ten, so I'm not sure how much I should loosen up, whether to their level (playing any ace or 2 suited cards), or waiting for better hands. What should I do?
Old 08-02-2004, 01:11 AM

Default Re: starting hand issues at single table tourneys

Read TPFAP (Tournament Poker for Advanced Players) by Sklansky. Part three of the books deals some with final table play (short handed) and final two players (heads up).