Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 07:12 PM

Default I can\'t stop berating players.

I could feel that I was going to play shitty in this last sit n go. And I did. Trying to bluff when my AK missed against two guys, like they will ever fold their small pocket pair? No. I recovered to 2nd chip leader out of 17 remaining when a dumbass goes all-in with a gutshot straight draw vs. my pocket KK.

But then this horrible player to my right completes his small-blind and I check with K2. Flop is 682. He bets, I raise, and he re-raises all-in. I knew he had me beat here but there was something about this horrible player winning chips from me because I had a 2nd best hand that just pissed me off so I called anyways and became a shorter stack.

Few hands later I go all-in with AQ for like 10 times the BB and the BB calls with 55. After the hand I was like "great call, calling large all-in's with small pocket pairs is smart". He says "I was the favorite dumbass". To which I retorted "yeah you were either a 2% favorite or a 1-4 underdog, great job". He responded with something losers say like "enjoy watching" when they have the rare thrill of not getting knocked out yet.

Anyways, don't you hate these guys. They call with 55 and then defend it as good poker? At least I can admit my call with K2 was stupid.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:44 PM

Default Re: I can\'t stop berating players.

[ QUOTE ]
Few hands later I go all-in with AQ for like 10 times the BB and the BB calls with 55. After the hand I was like "great call, calling large all-in's with small pocket pairs is smart". He says "I was the favorite dumbass". To which I retorted "yeah you were either a 2% favorite or a 1-4 underdog, great job". He responded with something losers say like "enjoy watching" when they have the rare thrill of not getting knocked out yet.

Anyways, don't you hate these guys. They call with 55 and then defend it as good poker? At least I can admit my call with K2 was stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Oh look at this, he's got a real hand! A wired pair of fives! He's got the speed limit! How's he going to play it?"--VVP
Old 07-30-2004, 07:47 PM

actually, what I hate is whiners who cry after getting beat.

do you actually want him to stop calling your big raises with small PPs?? Would you have felt better if it was 10-10? Or would it have to be KK?

I think it's on you to determine if a player is the gambling sort who will take his small PP against overcards and run with them...or the kind of player you apparently only want to play against - the "good" one who will know better and fold to your obviously superior move.

When you figure out how to beat "bad" players, then you can start talking like a good one. Until then, best to keep your whining to a minimum.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:07 PM

I dont mind to push at times w small pockets if theres a chance to make raiser fold...usually coin flip if called...but very fun to make AQ fold
Old 07-30-2004, 09:10 PM

I love playing with players that make moves like this. What I don't love is having to listen to someone for fifteen minutes afterwards because he can't handle people making bad calls and feels the need to educate the fish. Just say 'nh' or 'gg' and move along. These guys are the reason you make money.

Brett
Old 07-30-2004, 09:43 PM

I have the same problem. I go on tilt when people make ridiculous bad beats on me, and I all too often let them have a piece of my mind. I feel like an idiot sometimes, but when I flop a set and someone calls my all in with their inside draw and they hit, it just makes me feel like such a tool.

This is probably one of the biggest leaks in my game. I have no class sometimes at all, and I am embarassed for myself afterwards. I am smart enough not to play bad poker on tilt, but I cant keep my mouth shut. The thing that bothers me most is when I make the right choice, and people call me a moron for it. Like pushing with J9s when I have a horrible short stack. If I get called and I win sometimes the whole table berates me, and I get defensive and dish it out right back when they make a dumb move because my move was correct.

ANyways. You arent the only one. And both of us should keep our mouths shut. I honestly dont think it scares any fish away though. I think they play this way because they enjoy inflicting pain on people. They play knowing they are gambling and gain even more satisfaction from it when they get yelled at.

[ QUOTE ]
do you actually want him to stop calling your big raises with small PPs??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Yes I do. When I am on the steal I dont want anything calling me. Not 59o 55 or anything. The only time I want a call is when I have AA-QQ. Sure I am happy when I get a call and I am a dominant hand such as if he woulda called with A6o vs the AQ push, but most of the time I personaly only want the blinds. I dont even want them calling with KJ making the AQ only a slight favorite.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:47 PM

I just got done playing a Party 10+1 SNG where someone ended up all in preflop with QJ against KK in the first round, and QJ ended up sucking out. The guy with KK had him covered, so the rest of the table was treated to this jerk berating the guy who called him for another lap or two. I asked him, "Why don't you like someone calling you with QJ in that spot?" and all he just called me stupid. I think for players with some anger management issues, try taking a broader view, and try to work on the leaks in your own game. How many times do we take down a huge pot, scratching our heads wondering what possessed him to call with virtually nothing? Well if KK is a 4-1 favorite against QJ, the 1 is going to happen once in a while, while we get rich off the 4. If you're playing well, keep it up, it will come around. If you're not playing well, get better, get out, or accept that you play the game for fun and you might win some money once in a while.

Peace.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that bothers me most is when I make the right choice, and people call me a moron for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happens to me all the time, and I really have to bite my tongue sometimes.

Usually I just say something like "ok, boss" or sometimes I'll just play dumb, and say something like "I guess that was a bad move" and hope that they will continue to take me for an idiot.

But, I know what you mean. I immediately want to explain why they're the idiot, not me. But it only hurts you to do that, on the off chance that they listen and comprehend your argument.

Just remember that you have no reason to be defensive. Joke's on them. You make money at this game and chances are very good that they don't. So, why do you care what they think?

eastbay
Old 07-30-2004, 10:13 PM

I absolutely hate it when players make suboptimal moves. There's nothing better than a game entirely decided by the cards, since every player plays perfectly.

I think I'll go place huge bets on a game of "heads or tails".

Obviously, I'm being sarcastic. If I'm pissed off because I lost to a horrible beat, I don't type anything. I rage where the players can't see--outside of the game. Go punch a wall or find something fragile to break.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously, I'm being sarcastic. If I'm pissed off because I lost to a horrible beat, I don't type anything. I rage where the players can't see--outside of the game. Go punch a wall or find something fragile to break.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're SOL if its your mouse though.