Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 04:47 PM

Default virtual pc

i am switching to macintosh when I go back to school and thus need to run virtual pc to continue my poker career. Where can I download virtual PC from?
Old 07-30-2004, 05:37 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: virtual pc

it's a microsoft product, and it is not free software. it also requires a real copy of windows to run.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:14 PM

Furthermore, it is slow, and annoying to use, as you have to turn on your mac, then boot your windows emulator.

On a 800Mhz G4 with 640mb of ram(ibook) I can barely run 2 tables at Empire poker, and can only run 1 if I want to run AIM or PokerTracker at the same time. Additionally, VirtualPC is expensive.

I just bought a compaq laptop with 1900x1200 (no overlap 4 tables) display for $934 with their student discount and a few online coupons etc. I would recommend something like that if you are serious about poker, as it is barely playable on VPC.

Surf
Old 07-31-2004, 12:21 AM

Alternatively, you could play at pokerroom.com, which will work on a mac running OS X, with Safari and the latest version of java.

Plus, the games there are very soft at the low limits.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:12 PM

True, that's actually what I'm doing now - but the downsides are no pokertracker, no readily available hand histories (have to request 1 at a time and then manually cut and paste the info), and no player notes. Kind of rough.

Surf
Old 07-31-2004, 01:57 PM

Since I've been traveling quite a bit this summer, I've only had my laptop with me. I've been running VPC for the past 6 weeks or so, and it works fine so long as you don't multi-table. I'm running a Pbook G4 1.25 gig, and it can sort of three-table, but the real danger is mis-clicking, because you have 100% overlap. Nothing like trying to click raise on one screen and end up raising with 74o on another. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Depending on what limits you play, you might just want to cough up the bread for a desktop PC. Theoretically if you are a winning player, you should make back your investment in very little time (provided you do not play micro limits). Besides, VPC is baaaaaad news if your classrooms have internet access. It's tough to pay attention in Classical Literature when you have aces on table 112431.

-Diplomat
Old 08-02-2004, 01:19 PM

aside from overlap issues, does the software (vpc+poker) run as fast as pc speedwise? my powerbook has about half the processor as yours and is noticeably slower than a considerably older thinkpad. reason I ask is I am considering a new powerbook, even though I don't really need one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--turnipmonster
Old 08-03-2004, 01:24 AM

I use VMWare on an AMD host machine, and it's very fast. VPC on a PowerPC will be very slow.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:00 AM

It's pretty weak all around. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I maintain that you would be much better off buying a cheapass laptop if you are planning on multi-tabling.

One table is pretty much fine though...except for the reasons stated by other posters (no notes, etc.)

-Diplomat
Old 08-03-2004, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

...except for the reasons stated by other posters (no notes, etc.)

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

If u wanna take notes jus click on the player and hit the control button.

FYI - I'm am currently using VPC on a G4 Cube running at 450Mhz, it basically runs great as long as ure only playing one table, two tables is jus way too slow for my 450Mhz.