Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Playing K10s with caution and aggression

Table is pretty loose.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button <font color="purple">(ExtremeLAG)</font> raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">ExtremeLAG bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, ExtremeLAG calls, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, ExtremeLAG checks.

River: (8.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, ExtremeLAG folds, SB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.50 BB, between UTG+1 and Hero.</font>

Comments on this hand? Help... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Haupt_234
Old 07-30-2004, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Playing K10s with caution and aggression

I have said this like three times today....and I hope I have this concept correct:

I would have called the flop instead of raise because the board is so coordinated and you could not "protect your hand" (everybody was going to call behind you)

If a scary card did not come up on the turn, I would have raised the turn. Since the J came up, I may have checked the turn as well. River looks ok.

Check calling seems passive, but this is such a marginal hand on this board.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:02 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

the only thing I would've done differently is bet the turn.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:32 PM

You need to bet out so that the LAG can raise and drive out the weaker draws.

I also do not like the river raise. Call and go for overcalls. Anyone with a J or 10 will probably overcall. Your raise drives out all the weak pairs and gives someone with the 9 the opportunity to 3-bet and that is very costly for you on this hand. A lot of times UTG will bet out after missing his turn checkraise.

I think you played this poor and got lucky.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:35 PM

The pot is relatively big and you likely have the best hand on the flop. Calling is for the fish and checkraising is if you have K10c. This hand needs to be protected. Use the LAG to your advantage and bet into him so that he can raise and get rid of the naked A, K, Q. In addition you will charge the draws on this draw heavy board the max.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:49 PM

I like the idea of using the LAG to drive out the opponents, but you are not guaranteed he is going to raise. And, nobody is going to fold their flush or open ended draw anyway.

On this board, I just think it is better to take you shot at protecting your hand on the turn, not the flop.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also do not like the river raise. Call and go for overcalls. Anyone with a J or 10 will probably overcall. Your raise drives out all the weak pairs and gives someone with the 9 the opportunity to 3-bet and that is very costly for you on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what I was thinking for the river...

Since the ExtremeLAG didn't bet the turn when everyone checked to him, he is pretty much telling me he doesn't have a 9, a jack, or even a 10 for that matter.

The SB checks both the turn and river, so unless he is slowplaying to the extreme, he has nothing and I would doubt getting an overcall from him.

The UTG+1 could be betting a range of hands on the river. He could have the straight, or a weaker 10, or a jack. I think the decision to call/raise was very close. But seeing as the other players were likely to have next to nothing, I don't think my river raise was totally wrong here..

Haupt_234
Old 07-30-2004, 01:25 PM

This makes sense to me. Using your good read you made a thin value raise on the river. I actually like it.

Still think you should have led out on the flop
Old 07-30-2004, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but you are not guaranteed he is going to raise

[/ QUOTE ]
So what if he does not raise? You still put in 1 bet just like if you would just call. You just give yourself a huge advantage if he does and lose nothing when he does not.

This is clearly a hand of reverse implied odds.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:38 PM

"So what if he does not raise?"

Then you are giving the gutshots the correct odds to call...that is my point.

After reading SSH, I am thinking that you should be exploiting your advantage on the turn (if a scary does not come). I also think that SSH said there is some benefit of playing like this on the flop, but the advantage is greater on the turn.

And what if the flush or straight cards come on the turn, and there is a ton of action ahead of you, then you saved a few bets.