Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 03:03 PM

Default Stud WSOP event

So, was it just that I don't know how to play Stud very well or was that final table play pretty silly? Seemed like everyone just called all the way w/ any pair/any backdoor draw in the hands they showed.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Stud WSOP event

that guy wearing his sunglasses upside down was pretty loose, but he got Faragos (sp? is the name even close?) to go on tilt which explains some of the calling. also, espn is only going to show hands where significant chips were won and lost or when someone got busted, so the hands where eveyone folded weren't shown. of course HU at the end of the tourney, the short stack often had to call call call cos he didn't have enough chips left. one more thing, don't forget that the advantage of a "made" hand vs. a "drawing" hand is 7stud is often not very large.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:19 PM

I gotta agree with you here. I was quite dumbfounded by the level of play. I started playing poker 5 years ago and used to play strictly stud (live and tourneys) and I really don't think there was much justification for some of those plays. The only one that seemed semi-solid was Nick Fragos and even his play was a bit questionable when he made a wheel against an AKJ10 board.

Peace

Goodie
Old 07-28-2004, 03:20 PM

I didn't think Fargos tilted. He almost got busted on a hand where they both made a straight. He was pissed and tilted after that, but he didn't have enough chips left for it to make a difference. Other than that Fargos played pretty solid (it seemed, based on my knowing nothing of stud).
Old 07-28-2004, 03:50 PM

Some of the plays were bad. But, there was one pair vs. pair hand (I think it was Kings vs. Queens) which was interesting because the 3rd street percentages were 55/45. In stud, chasing is much more correct than in hold 'em.

The analysis was truly horrible. There were many occasions where the announcers were saying a player had a clear fold when calling was definitely the play.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:55 PM

So THAT'S what you look like without the mask on.

Ole, indeed!
Old 07-28-2004, 04:04 PM

Someone mentioned earlier when the first 7 stud event was on ESPN, just how boring it is to watch stud. Now, that might be because we're only seeing certain hands. But it basically goes bet/call, bet/call, bet/raise (oh someone raised, uh oh)/call, check/bet/call. It's just not as interesting as NLHE. A lot of times players actions are determined by the pot size, so there's not as much strategy. The worst is the crying call by the end.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:16 PM

Default Marcel Luske

FWIW, he was at my table in the Big One this year on the second day (or third day depnding on how you cound them). Anyway, he was very entertaining and totally talked this kid into calling him for all of his chips. It started earlier in a hand where the Marcel just kept calling small bets with TPTK and never raised. They showed the hands and Marcel won. The kid asked what Marcel would have done had he gone all-in on the river. Marcel said he would have called. The kid asked he wouldn't be scared? Marcel responded that unless he said "Boo" as he made a huge overbet all-in on the end, he would know it was a bluff and call him.

About 30 minutes later, Marcel pushes all in like 150k into a 30k pot and goes "Boo" to the kid. The kid thinks a while and calls with just top pair. MArcel had the nut straight.

I was amused.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:11 PM

As a side note, I just have to say that your avatar creeps me out for some reason, B Dids. Don't know why. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2004, 06:23 PM

Yeah, me too.

He looks like John Hammond from Jurassic Park.

This is the finest parakeet on mu shoulder, spared no expense!