Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Rolled up two\'s, a bring in question..

$5/$10 FWoods with .5 ante and $2 bring in.. Full table.

I was the bring in with trip two's.. There was a little arguing at the table that gave me information about how the players felt about their hands.. I brought in for $2, a caller to my immediate left (8c), then another guy who say's call (Td), doesn't put his money in yet, guy to his immediate left completes (Qc), and then a fold, and then another guy says raise to $10 (7h), the guy who said call, hadn't put his money in yet, and tried to say he didn't have to, and so then the completer tried to take his money back also, dealer said they both had to call and complete as the caller verbally committed.. guy to the left (4h) of raiser to $10 calls, and its back to me.. Now, I am quite sure that the Td and the completer are going to fold if I raise.. What's my play?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Rolled up two\'s, a bring in question..

Raise, no question. There is less reason to slowplay when the pot is already large (which it is). You also very much want the ten and the completer to be out of this pot. 222 is very powerful but you still want to limit the field to about 2 or 3 opponents.

Hope it turned out alright.

Peace

Goodie
Old 07-27-2004, 12:13 PM

You must raise here.

1. The pot is already getting large.
2. Your hand looks great now, but will certainly shrink when someone pairs their door card, or gets a suited connector.
3. Since the highest upcard is a Q, you're not giving away your true hand. You very easily could have kings or aces in the hole.

You might raise a few eyebrows by reraising since the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] announced that he can beat queens. Still, raising is the best play.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:18 PM

well u probably should kick it again because if u just flat call with the deuce up, you are already representing a big buried pair (greater than q) or a rolled-up hand, so u might as well build the pot now and try to knock out some people who can chase u down

mike
Old 07-27-2004, 02:15 PM

I agree with the other posters, raise it up [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

On a side note, don't these people make you crazy? I can't stand all of the angleshooting that goes on like this. I think that these words/actions should be binding in any cardroom, anytime. Cardrooms that let players take back their bets after announcing a call or raise (but not realizing it had already been raised) are just asking for trouble. It tends to snowball.

I've been sitting at a table full of seniors, someone raises, three seniors announce either call or raise, have their chips already on the felt in front of their cards, and are ALLOWED to take back their bets, no matter the amount of action behind them.

The cardroom always claimed this wasn't angleshooting, because so many of the seniors are hard of hearing.

True, while they might not have intentionally been shooting an angle, once they heard the pot was already raised (or opened behind them), they wanted to take back their bets. Even worse is when one of them announces "raise" himself, trying to steal the blinds, but is able to take back his bet once he realizes someone else has already raised the pot.

This became sooo old, so fast, and slowed down the game tremendously. Hearing impaired or not (my hearing isn't exactly the best either), players should have to be aware that there is action in front of them. They can easily watch the table, if they cannot hear the other players and/or the dealer.

This situation came up this year in the series main event. It was extremely noisy upstairs in the bullpen, and a player announced "raise" in LP thinking no one had opened the pot, and tried to steal with A7o or something similar. He hadn't heard Doyle say "raise" before him with pocket tens. He tried to take back his bet, but his bet stood, so he was forced to raise Doyle. He spiked an ace and Doyle went home, in the money, but still not where he wanted to finish. Had the man been paying attention in the first place, he never would have been in the pot. He got through over 2000 players, just to make this kind of error. Granted, it was very noisy and they had been playing for days, but this was the difference between a 50k cash, and 5 million!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net
Old 07-27-2004, 03:52 PM

you wont raise any eyebrows since these guys wont even be thinking about his hand they will still be arguing about the call. hell, even if there wasnt an argument there still wouldnt be too many eyebrows raised. in those games if i had an A high flush draw i would raise there much less than with trip twos.

Pat
Old 07-27-2004, 04:14 PM

First off, verbal statements made in turn are binding, so the jerk's attempt at shooting an angle should have been dealt with promptly by forcing him to do what he said.

Second, you just call here, no more discussion. Raise between 4th and 6th depending on the boards and the action.

Third, a story...

the stupidest stud play of all time...

player in a tournament has the 2c and brings it in for a raise. all fold and he shows 222 rolled. What a moron. Someone would have surely tried to steal the antes and he would have gotten action.

al
Old 07-27-2004, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

How had the tournament been playing up to that point? If people had been playing loose, bringing it in for a full bet is perfectly reasonable. Even if it had been somewhat tight, I don't think that having a guy bring it in for a full bet is necessarily going to set off any alarms. I would have brought it in for the minimum myself (with the intention of re-raising, natch), but I don't think that the guy is a "moron" for bringing it in for a full bet. To be sure, it is far from the worst play ever.

And to the original poster: raise.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:08 AM

Andy follows this advice btw, in case it wasn't obvious. Granted, I saw him take a beat twice (!) in one session like this with rolled 2's, but those are the breaks.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:21 AM

I did raise, but the initial raiser ended up catching aces full, and I lost. Luckily, he checked the river, and I did too as others had scary boards, so I didn't lose any money there.

Thanks for the feedback.