Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2004, 09:13 PM

Default big draw flaw

Did I play this weel at all? Should I have been more aggressive? Comments appreciated on all streets

Pacific Poker .25/.50
Hero is UTG+1 with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 is very aggressive.

Preflop (9 players)
UTG calls, <font color="orange"> Hero calls </font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop (6.8 SB) 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7 players)
<font color="red"> SB bets </font>, BB folds, <font color="orange"> Hero calls </font>, MP1 folds, <font color="red"> MP2 raises </font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls, <font color="orange"> Hero calls </font>.

Turn (8.1 BB) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 players)
<font color="red"> SB bets </font>, UTG calls, <font color="orange"> Hero raises </font>, <font color="red"> MP2 3-bets </font>, button folds, SB calls, UTG folds, <font color="orange"> Hero calls</font>.

River (18 BB) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 player)
SB checks, <font color="orange"> Hero bets </font>, <font color="red"> MP2 raises </font>, SB calls, <font color="orange"> Hero calls </font>.

Final pot 24 BB between <font color="orange"> Hero </font>, MP2 and SB
Old 07-26-2004, 09:34 PM

Default Re: big draw flaw

Raise pre-flop.

Raise the flop. You have the perfect opportunity to make everyone behind you call 2 cold with their crappy draws.

On the turn I would be tempted to fold to the 3-bet.

I also wouldn't bet the river. You know MP2 likes his hand since he's raised you twice already, and your hand isn't exactly a powerhouse.

I think you're beaten, and I don't even know if your hand is strong enough to overcall with if you had checked the river, but I think the pot's too big to fold at that point.

Think about why you're betting/raising/check-raising, and what you're trying to accompish with each action you take.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:46 PM

I think you should raise the flop.

Not only do you have top pair with a good kicker, but you have an OESD to the nuts, and you've got a metric fuckton (i.e., 7) of callers to pay off your draw. Unless you have some reason to believe the limpers will fold facing 2 cold from you, you ought to raise here.

Given the fact that you called the flop, I'm confused about why you decided to raise the turn, since you already knew MP2 was prone to 3-bet you. I think your life would have been easier if you had raised the flop while you had 2 streets to draw.

Yes, MP2 is very agressive, but that means he is likely to raise the flop with weaker hands such as one pair. He could have two pairs, given his raise on the turn, but you'd have more of a read if you'd raised the flop and seen his reaction.

I would not bet the river, since you have been raised on every street by MP2, and your draw is busted, so you're not as likely to be ahead of any hand that has shown that much aggression so far. Also, with SB still hanging around, your chances of being ahead here are diminished. If you don't want to fold here, it is probably better to check, an agressive player may interpret this as weakness, and bluff with his own busted draw. Since you have top pair, you could stop the bluff, and cheaply for 1 BB. If he bets and SB calls, you could safely fold, since your hand must be very strong to overcall on the river.

I may be way off here, but I hope this helps clear some things up,
bk
Old 07-26-2004, 09:59 PM

I think you need to look at this hand less as a draw, and more as a vulnerable made hand that needs to be protected.

If you hit your draw, that's fine, but most of the time you're going to see the showdown with a pair of Queens. You should play the hand accordingly.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:05 PM

Default RESULTS

thanks guys, your input helped me a lot; here are the results:

Hero shows K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (one pair, queens)
MP2 shows 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (one pair, tens)
SB shows Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pairs, queens and sixes)

SB wins 24BB
Old 07-26-2004, 11:08 PM

Raise preflop. Raise the flop and cap if 3-bet. Call the turn. Call the river.