Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2004, 12:48 PM

Default How to play the extreme shortstack at the final table?

I qualified for a final table and I am the short stack. All places at the final table pay

The chip counts are as follows:

#1 - 2031 (loose-agressive, real smart player)
#2 - 1686 (loose-agressive)
#3 - 975 (this guy has too much respect for me, will fold anything to me except JJ, QQ, KK, AA)
#4 - 888 (loose, semi-agressive)
#5 - 645
#6 - 408 (Tight)
#7 - 150 (Loose agressive)
#8 - 129 (me)

Started with 216 in chips (weird I know)
Blinds are going to be 4/8 to start, then 5/10, 8/16, 10/20, 15-30, 20-40, ...

What should my strategy be going in to this table? Do I push it in with any pocket pair, any A10+? Currently, I want to play super tight and hope to get a hand. With a hand like JJ or TT, it's tricky whether or not I want to see the flop, or just push it in preflop over a raise. Comments please

Thanks guys
Old 07-26-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: How to play the extreme shortstack at the final table?

With blinds of 4/8, you have PLENTY of time to make a move... don't change your play. When you get below 10x BB, then you can start worrying about playing the desparation game. With 10 players, you have plenty of time to wait for good hands.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:53 PM

With the blinds so small you are not really all that short stacked. You can actually afford to raise without going all-in. Personally I would look for a spot to be the second person in. That is, wait for an aggressive frequent raiser to open raise (somebody much like myself I would imagine) and then move all-in over the top no matter what your cards are in the hopes that he folds (you have to have a good read on a player for this to work). Just personal preference. You can afford to be patient here.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:53 PM

"With 10 players, you have plenty of time to wait for good hands."

It's only 8 players by the way
Old 07-26-2004, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"With 10 players, you have plenty of time to wait for good hands."

It's only 8 players by the way

[/ QUOTE ]

You still have plenty of time. 129 chips with 4/8 blinds... It's going to take 3 orbits for you to be close to 10x BB.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:58 PM

Ok, so I will still just do my normal raises with good hands and hope to hit the flop. Once I am below 10x the BB what should I push with preflop? I don't have much experience with being the short stack in multitables because I am usually a medium to big stack [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and I play online which I find easier
Old 07-28-2004, 01:33 PM

Another quick question, do I want to take some 50-50 shots early on? Say someone raises from early or middle and is an agressive player, what should I do with pocket pairs like 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, TT, JJ+ ? I'm not sure if I need to take 50-50s at low blinds, but once I have under 10x BB, is that the time?
Old 07-28-2004, 01:43 PM

I'm not even concerned with my chip position here, except to realise that everyone has me covered and will be more willing to call my all-ins. Bluffing all-in will probably be a mistake.

You don't mention the payouts. For example how much money do you gain by moving up each place? If it's significant, its even more incentive to wait for premium hands and hope 2 or 3 guys get knocked off before you even play a hand.

You are in no rush here. Don't do anything foolish, I would stick to 3 or 4 BB raises until you fall below the 10BB limit.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:46 PM

Holy sh!t they are some deep stacks for a final table. As people have said you are very shortstacked but still have time to play.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:58 PM

You have 100 hands or so till you are blinded out (1.5 per hand with 8 people). So you have plenty of time.

If someone raises from early position would be the only time to push, other than that play like you should.

3X raises, fold with less than premium and if you get re-raised with your AA-JJ and AK go for it... people will be willing to call you with AJ.

-VI