Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2004, 10:02 PM

Default This one has been bugging me...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (7 handed). $30 3-table MTT, this is final table down to last 7 players.

The villian (CO) is a good player, fairly tight (VPIP=18). The hand right before this, I got caught stealing by Villian and lost ~T1000 so i might look like i'm tilting.
I figure villian for good hand to raise me, but alittle wider range due to my potential perceived tilt. The 950 raise seemed to be working at this table to get folds.

Questions: Should I reraise all-in, or call?
If I call, what's the plan on flop? (push if no A?, no AK)?

Villian-CO (t6255)
Button (t3155)
SB (t3112)
BB (t4062)
Hero (t4106)
MP1 (t5675)
MP2 (t3635)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t950</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t1500</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t4106 (All-In)</font>, CO calls t2606.

Results don't matter, but I'll flop and his cards later if folks are curious.

--Greg
Old 07-25-2004, 11:37 PM

Default Re: This one has been bugging me...

gergery-

The minreraise screams AA/KK but I push in anyway because I'm too hardheaded to muck QQ against a single opponent, especially someone who just caught me stealing and might think 77 or KJ is all he needs to challenge me figuring that I'll need a whopper to play back at the big stack on the bubble.

Might not be good advice but I'm allin PF here. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Che
Old 07-25-2004, 11:43 PM

I'm putting him on 99-JJ because 22-88 would probably be too weak for a push.... My logic for this is that I believe the minraise is just that - it's meant to get more $$ in the pot and maybe he'll take it down after the flop or maybe even steal the blinds.

It's also important to note how many chips he had left.

If he was shortstacked, I'd say AK.. If not 99-JJ.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:59 AM

Whenever someone raises you this amount, it really, really screams KK/AA, especially from a player who knows what they're doing. Why else would they only raise 600 more in this pot? Don't they expect you to call it? Not many players lay down to this sized raise, and most players making this sized raise know that (at least players that have made it to the final table)...

...But it's really, really hard to lay down QQ at this point. Especially if he sucessfully got you to lay down the last hand. How did he make you down the last hand? Mini raise or over the top all-in? I think how he got you to lay down last time might give you a clue into what his thinking is here.

I wouldn't blame you for pushing, and I would push here a good portion of the time, but when I'm playing my best, I fold this hand, hold onto my tourney life at 3,000 chips, and play well from there. Sh-t happens, do your best with it.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever someone raises you this amount, it really, really screams KK/AA, especially from a player who knows what they're doing. Why else would they only raise 600 more in this pot? Don't they expect you to call it? Not many players lay down to this sized raise, and most players making this sized raise know that (at least players that have made it to the final table)...

...But it's really, really hard to lay down QQ at this point. Especially if he sucessfully got you to lay down the last hand. How did he make you down the last hand? Mini raise or over the top all-in? I think how he got you to lay down last time might give you a clue into what his thinking is here.

I wouldn't blame you for pushing, and I would push here a good portion of the time, but when I'm playing my best, I fold this hand, hold onto my tourney life at 3,000 chips, and play well from there. Sh-t happens, do your best with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this play is also sometimes a moderately strong hand that wants to force out the other hands and plans to steal the flop. i'd push for sure.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:41 AM

What bothers me is the weak reraise. Only t550 reraise? It's begging to get you to go all in. I'm putting CO on AA here, or maybe KK. Anything else he'd come over the top big enough to make you think or fold to your all in reraise.

I personally would call the raise, and see the flop. If it's a weak flop, throw out a bet to try to take the pot. If you are reraised, I'd consider folding. If you get a Queen, check/reraise all in. If you get an A or K, check/fold.

At least that's the way I'd play. A lot of people like tricky plays like this with AA... a real weak reraise which is begging for an all in reraise. I'll bet the CO got his chips in the second your went all in.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:43 AM

I've also seen this play made with pocket 44s. If you consistently give online opponents too much respect you will miss golden opportunities to get chips.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:54 PM

MLG... this is the final table. I give anyone that makes the final table a LOT of respect.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:57 PM

Just because somebody is at the final table does not mean they are a highly skilled player. Could this be AA sure, does it have to be absolutely not. In the absence of a read I'm pushing here, and if its AA I'll make a note so I know for next time.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because somebody is at the final table does not mean they are a highly skilled player. Could this be AA sure, does it have to be absolutely not. In the absence of a read I'm pushing here, and if its AA I'll make a note so I know for next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone at the final table has a MUCH higher probability of being a skilled player. And most online players are of the 'tricky' variety, good or otherwise. We could keep arguing opinions here, but that's not the point. My opinion is that he has AA or, less likely, KK. And I'd play the hand with that perspective.

Finally, more often than not, online, final table, wherever, you will find a small reraise like this means a big hand. At a final table, online or elsewhere, you will find the majority of the players are of the 'skilled' variety. I base my opinions on these facts of the type of players we are up against in this hand. As poker players, we play the percentages. The percentages, in this particular case, say that the opponent is a skilled, tricky player, making the chance that this particular player's most likely possible hand is AA.