Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2004, 10:56 AM

Default The new Ed Miller Book

Hi!

Do I really need this new book, if I know HPFAP?

I wonder if there canl be such a great difference.

regards Dai Wizard [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: The new Ed Miller Book

Yes the 2 books are geared for very different games.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:59 AM

I haven't finished it, but from what I've read Ed's book is fantatastic.

The post-flop advice is the most complete that I have seen in print. I thought the section on evaluating hand strength after the flop is worth the price of the book on its own and I still have almost half to book to go.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi!

Do I really need this new book, if I know HPFAP?

I wonder if there canl be such a great difference.

regards Dai Wizard [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The authors state that the advice in the two books is different, for different types of opponents. The advice in HPFAP assumes that most of your opponents play reasonably well. The advice in SSH assumes that many or even most of your opponents play poorly (they play too many hands and continue to play marginal hands after the flop). If you are playing in the first kind of game, you don't need SSH. In the second type, you do.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:28 PM

The book is simply incredible. I got it in the mail yesterday afternoon and finished it before bed. Already noticing big improvements in my game.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:55 PM

Wow, I must read slow. I got it 5 days ago and I'm only one quarter through. My additude has always been that any book cost less that one pot. If I get advise that helps me win one pot one time, it was worth it. So, unless the book is crap and has faulty advise, it's always worth it. So far, Ed's book has been really solid and well written. For me at least, it seems a little easier to follow than the Advanced books also. It's a good purchase IMO.
Steve
Old 07-23-2004, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I must read slow. I got it 5 days ago and I'm only one quarter through. My additude has always been that any book cost less that one pot. If I get advise that helps me win one pot one time, it was worth it. So, unless the book is crap and has faulty advise, it's always worth it. So far, Ed's book has been really solid and well written. For me at least, it seems a little easier to follow than the Advanced books also. It's a good purchase IMO.
Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually like this logic as well -- it's the logic I use when buying most poker books -- but the problem is most books are terrible and might end up costing you money if you don't sift the garbage from the gems (and most are far more of the former than latter).

With that said, this book is NOT one of those and I highly recommend it, for what it's worth (as I would recommend, of course, HEFAP).

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
"Great Job, Ed!"
Old 07-23-2004, 02:20 PM

get it. Mine is on order. will go along side hfap, pt, scsfap, gfal, and so on.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:41 PM

From a previous post of yours:

[ QUOTE ]
Hi!

Is there really someone who has been winning significantly over a longer period of time ( half a year or even a year)at Party 2/4 or lower. I play there since January 2004 but can only break even. Without rake I'd be a winner however.
I think I'm just too untalented for more....

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to become a better winner at party 2/4 then you definately should buy Ed's book.

-nam

Edit: I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, this post was almost two months ago and maybe you've become very good in the last two months. But for me, I am doing well at 2/4 right now but I can tell that I don't understand everything, and I am thrilled to have Ed's book to help me become better. I'm about 100 pages in and love it so far.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:53 PM

You don't need this book to tell you how to beat "terrible players," but you do need this book to tell you how to extract the maximum from them and learn to CRUSH these games, not just win a little bit.

I'm only about halfway through the book, but I'm amazed at the way it explains some concepts that I had heard of but didn't completely understand before like why and when to NOT raise on the flop so that you can raise on the turn. The advice is NOT limited to small stakes games, but you have to be discerning on when to use it in higher stakes games. Simply put, the conditions that exist in smaller stakes games won't often be in the higher stakes games. Ed doesn't necessarily make this distinction in words, but in pot size. Pots will be more multi-handed and bigger in small stakes games which is the main thing that previous authors have gotten wrong. Ed seeks to correct our play in these situations.