Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2004, 10:41 AM

Default Heads Up With a Huge Draw..Interesting MisPlayed Hand

Party 6 Max $100 $1-2 Blinds
Heads Up Play

Me and villian were only ones left and continued to play. He is also at one of my other tables were he bent me over on a set over set. His 1010 vs. my 66 for a $430 pot.

He is a little on the aggressive side and slightly loose, decent though I guess.
I stayed heads up bc I thought I could trap him on a hand and double through.

10th hand heads up, nothing special of note so far...

Hero BB ($165)
Villian ($250)

Hero dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian completes SB/button and I raise to $8. He calls.

Flop ($16): K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I lead out for $12, villian raises to $24.
I call.

Turn($64):6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, he bets $35, I call.

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Thinking that I just sucked out on his king, I figure I would lead out to bet for value, as he may check behind a lot of hands on that board.

I bet $55, he raises me all in.
I call.

My play is suspect on every street I think, but I am not completely sure of the best route.

Results to follow.

thanks in advance,

fsuplayer
Old 07-21-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Heads Up With a Huge Draw..Interesting MisPlayed Hand

these hands are a lot tougher to analyze from a 3rd party perspective, aren't they?

my first, initial instinct is to apply more pressure on the flop facing a minimum raise. 2nd pair top kicker is a pretty good hand heads up, and by calling his min raise you are setting yourself up to have to call the turn again and really pay the maximum for your draw. if I thought he was weak I would reraise the flop quite a lot of the time.

it's really hard to put him on a hand here. really the only hands you are worried about are AK, QJ and 78. his play could mean 78, he is min raising the flop for a free card on the turn and when he hit he is selling it.

I think that A LOT of the time you will be ahead on the river, though. two pair is a monster heads up, and you just got there vs. 9T,KT and a whole bunch of other hands.

an inexperienced heads up player is going to probably put you on AK or something here, so I think once he raises the river you are in trouble, but with two pair and about $50 behind you have to call I think.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-21-2004, 11:27 AM

if you're going to go felt when you hit the Ace I would've just pushed on the flop especially out of position. The only reason to just call is if you think he has AK, a set, or the straight in which case your ace outs are no good. I like betting out on the river but exactly what hand do you put him on when comes over the top of you?
Old 07-21-2004, 11:33 AM

When he put me in, I figured that more than likely I was beat, but that he would have a lower two pair a good enough % of the time that I had to call. Laying that down heads up with a $240 pot is not something I am doing too often on Party.

fsuplayer
Old 07-21-2004, 11:34 AM

I agree that you might want to come back over the top on the flop here. Middle pair with the nut flush draw is NASTY heads up, but I still wouldn't mind taking the pot down right here if you are behind a Weak king or something like that. IF he comes BACK over the top, your almost certainly up against a set or a flopped straight that is fearing clubs(maybe 2 pair?), in which case its either fold or gamble it up! The biggest problem I see with calling and then check calling the turn is he probably has you on something close to what you hold(if he is a thinking player) but you don't have a great idea of what your up against. Then again, I probably grind me teeth and call the river push anyways only to see that I am crushed. What did he have?
Old 07-21-2004, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my first, initial instinct is to apply more pressure on the flop facing a minimum raise. 2nd pair top kicker is a pretty good hand heads up, and by calling his min raise you are setting yourself up to have to call the turn again and really pay the maximum for your draw. if I thought he was weak I would reraise the flop quite a lot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I was thinking in general about the hand, but here is the other problem with that line.

Say I raise his $24 bet to $70-80. I have about $80-90 left behind. If he just flat calls do I push on any turn card regardless?
If he raises all in, I guess I would have to call obviously, so would it be better just to raise all in on the flop?

thanks

fsuplayer
Old 07-21-2004, 11:45 AM

Turkish-

I forgot to tell you about this hand last night, one of the few interesting ones I have played recently.

fsuplayer
Old 07-21-2004, 11:51 AM

yeah, I meant reraising allin. you are not going to reraise half your stack in this spot, right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

the problem with this line is you might be bluffing with the best hand. as you know, your draw doesn't have a ton of value heads up, but what it does give you is the classic folding equity + suckout equity = good spot to bluff equation. you are drawing quite live against the nuts, and some of the time your A outs are going to be good.

also, I think another factor is are you going to rebuy and keep playing if you lose. if so, making huge raises on the flop with draws is great for your image, and you want to make it clear you will play back at him with a lot of holdings.

I don't really know the correct line in this hand either. really hard to play this one out of position. folding really doesn't seem right, but calling doesn't either, especially if the club is a straight card that scares him into folding. because folding/calling strike me as wrong, I have to think that semibluffing either the flop or turn is the best play. either way, my goal here is to try and take it down with no showdown. if I get called, I have outs.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-21-2004, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, I meant reraising allin. you are not going to reraise half your stack in this spot, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was assuming you meant that. I would never try the reraise here unless it was all in.

You are right about this hand.
Folding is out of the question, but calling feels very uncomfortable out of position.
Raising all in looks best, but heads up, its unlikely for him to fold KJ or better, so I would be hoping to hit if he calls.

BTW I would re buy if I lost, so yes that could have had a bit of future value to it.

fsuplayer
Old 07-21-2004, 12:11 PM

If you're willing to risk all your chips with 2 pair in this pot, you should be willing to risk them all with a pair and a draw on the flop. You're out of position with a very strong hand that has a good chance of being severely weakened on the turn, a reraise is clearly in order.

You also should have check-called the river -- your bet only helps you when he has "just a king," and hurts you in all other circumstances -- him having an ace, two smaller pair, a straight, two higher pair, or nothing.