Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 01:23 PM

Default party\'s client

Why can't party put some time and effort into making their client look as clean as stars or UB. it looks like a 4th grader designed it
Old 07-20-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: party\'s client

I am offended with your reference to 4th graders design abilities.

Obviously, if 4th graders had designed the Party Client, it would look much better.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:37 PM

I agree with you that the client doesn't look very good, but it annoys me much more that Party's software doesn't work very well. Here is a very incomplete list of bugs.

1. Clicking the "wait for big blind" button when you start out sometimes results in you being put in "sitting out" status instead of waitng for big blind. Actually, it will initially appear to have worked, but when the next hand starts, your status will change from "waiting for big blind" to "sitting out". If you click "Wait for big blind" then check "autopost blinds", then get mysteriously switched to "sitting out" and click "I'm back" without unchecking autopost, you will end up posting out of position instead of waiting the big blind.

2. Waiting lists: If you get on a waiting list, have you ever wondered why it takes forever to get on a table? It's because even if there's a waiting list for a table, sometimes a seat will open up instead of being reserved. This seems to be the rule rather than the exception for tables with more than one empty seat. I hardly ever get on a waiting list, because I know I can get a seat sooner just by finding a table with an open seat. Unfair? Probably, but it's not my fault the software doesn't work right, and I'm sure I'm not the only one taking advantage of this bug.

3. Disappearing buttons. I've never experienced this one, but several people have reported having the buttons disappear, or fail to appear, and they can see the action, so they know the client is communicating, but they can't ace and get timed out.

4. Table comes to the top at the start of the betting round. This appears to be not a bug, but bad design (in other word, I think it works the way it was inteded to work), but I hate the way the table on which a betting round has just started comes to the top, even when it's your turn to act on another table. It makes multi-tabling much more difficult than it has to be. It also makes it very difficult to check you balance, or look at a hand history, because a table keeps coming to the top when it really doesn't need to. I would prefer it if the table didn't come to the top until it is actually my turn to act, becuase I usually don't want to make the decision (except for preflop folds) until it is actually my turn to act.

To give credit where credit is due, Party seems to be having a lot fewer server crashes and slowdowns than they were a few months ago, so maybe there's still hope that they will fix some of their software bugs.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:08 PM

They could improve the software and that is it. But they will never, they have loads of players, that doesn´t seem to care. So, no rush to modify.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:52 AM

I multi table and I kinda like the table coming to the top when it's my turn to act. It is annoying when I'm checking something or taking notes, but otherwise it keeps me from missing my turn, or at least gives me enough time to think.

The rest of your complaints seem good. Do Empire and Intertops not have these problems? I only play party.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:34 PM

My complaint is that the table comes to the top, not when it's my turn to act, but when the betting round starts (and the check boxes first appear). It is especially annoying when it is my turn to act at one table, and a table where the betting round has just started comes up before I can act on the table where it is my turn to act. I would prefer it if the table didn't come to the top until it is actually my turn to act. This is how it works on Paradise, which, IMO has much better software (but unfortunately also much better players), than Party. Ideally, it would be nice if this were an option where you could choose when the table comes to the top, as I realize some people might have different preferences from mine.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:16 AM

My biggest problem, and one that burned me today, is the one where searching for your buddies fucks over your connection. I was at an awesome 6-max table today that was full of morons and two for sure that I would swear thought they were playing some other game they were so clueless. I then ran a search to see if any of my favorite uber-fish were hanging out anywhere good and then *BAM* my 'connection is very good' table freezes and I'm fubar.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:18 AM

but party says that there is no search-function-disconnect bug.
don't you pay attention??