Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2004, 09:33 PM

Default Possible LAGGY river bet on my part.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Any comments? Should that third 8 have caused a check even though I hit the hand I was drawing to?

TRWIII
Old 07-19-2004, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Possible LAGGY river bet on my part.

Would a bet or check-raise on the flop be out of the question here?

The fact that he just called you on the river leads me to believe he had AK.

I'm not answering your question though, I'm just rambling.

To tell the truth I'm not exactly sure what action I would take on the river, anyone else want to chime in?

It's kind of an interesting hand.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:21 PM

I did'nt want to drive anyone out on the flop. A checkraise would've forced everyone except the button to call 2 cold so I dont think that woulda been a good idea [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. As far as leading out on the flop, kinda the same thing. I wanted to keep as many customers as possible to pay me off if I hit. Maybe not aggressive enough.

TRWIII
Old 07-19-2004, 11:21 PM

Please lead the flop and hope the button raises.

If the button raises, check/call the turn. If he calls, lead the turn.

Definitely bet the river.

NT
Old 07-20-2004, 12:56 AM

I don't really like calling preflop, unless button is the type who always raises when he's on the button. Nah, not even then. I don't call out of the SB much, I guess.
I think you should seriously consider checkraising the turn. It might work sometimes and you have a lot of outs against crap overcards if nobody else has a pair which doesn't seem all that unlikely. You might even have the best hand.
On the river, if you will get calls from an ace, and most people would call with an ace, you probably should bet because on this board it's pretty unlikely that MP2 has paired, and button is more likely to have unpaired overs than a pair, assuming he is like most people who would bet all the way with this board (fwiw I would too.)
Old 07-20-2004, 03:33 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but how much positive expectation can you have from the river bet. I'm no math expert, but it seems to me that he will have to call with overcards more than 75% for this bet to show a profit. The reason is that given the flop the likelyhood of you getting a hand that beats you to fold given this flop is almost 0. Especially at 2-4. If you are beat he will call or raise every time. If that happens you've cost yourself at least 1BB that you didn't need to.

I know that many people would play overcards the way the button did, but many people would also play any pocket pair the same way (especially with that flop). You just can't like your cards too much any time your called (or raised) here.

I probobly check-call assuming I'm getting the proper odds given the % chance I think he would bluff with overcards or I guess a possible smaller flush.

Feel free to correct me anyone who disagrees with my analysis. I'm here to learn.