Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2004, 09:35 AM

Default weak-tight strangle hold

Playing in a low-limit Pacific Poker room last night I encountered a very atypical game. Instead of the usual loose aggressive or passive table, I was faced with a barrage of weak-tight opponents. With only four people or less seeing the flop and everybody calling mostly the whole way I found reading hands extremely difficult (even more than usual!). At first glance they seemed like calling stations, but I found out they were slightly worse. For example, hardly anyone ever raised, even with TPTK. Once I lost to Kings in the pocket after the guy called me down on all streets and bet into me on the river (he didn't even raise pre-flop). I went on tilt b/c I couldn't adjust to this play. I know there must be a good counter-stragedy, please critique. In a weak-tight game either:
1)loosen up some. Concentrate on draw plays that you know will beat slowplayed pocket pairs and/or TPTK. Fold to mostly any aggression on the later streets.
2)get out (these guys sure can f*ck with your head)
Old 07-20-2004, 04:23 AM

Default Re: weak-tight strangle hold

Against passive-tight players one way of winning is tightening up your high card hands you play in early and middle positions. Add weaker offsuit high card hands and junk drawing hands in late position. Since your opponents are passive implied odds on hitting a straight and flush are pretty good even with only 3 to 4 players on the flop. The way you have described your opponents a drawing hands and premium high card strategy should make you a winner since your oppoenents are willing to pay you off. Perhaps if you think of these opponents as tight passive before the flop and loose passive post-flop will help you think about this situation.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:45 AM

This doesn't sound weak-tight. It sounds prototypically loose-passive, at least after the flop.

Value bet them to death. Bluff less.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing in a low-limit Pacific Poker room last night I encountered a very atypical game. Instead of the usual loose aggressive or passive table, I was faced with a barrage of weak-tight opponents. With only four people or less seeing the flop and everybody calling mostly the whole way I found reading hands extremely difficult (even more than usual!). At first glance they seemed like calling stations, but I found out they were slightly worse. For example, hardly anyone ever raised, even with TPTK. Once I lost to Kings in the pocket after the guy called me down on all streets and bet into me on the river (he didn't even raise pre-flop). I went on tilt b/c I couldn't adjust to this play. I know there must be a good counter-stragedy, please critique. In a weak-tight game either:
1)loosen up some. Concentrate on draw plays that you know will beat slowplayed pocket pairs and/or TPTK. Fold to mostly any aggression on the later streets.
2)get out (these guys sure can f*ck with your head)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you say you were reading hands in a low limit Pacific Room?

You're a far better man than I.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This doesn't sound weak-tight. It sounds prototypically loose-passive, at least after the flop.

Value bet them to death. Bluff less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this post. The loose-weak and tight-weak games I've seen (they are extremely rare) are easy to beat. You will typically see 3-5 players limp in pre-flop only to check fold on the flop if you position bet. I'll play this game all night long.