Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2004, 02:51 AM

Default Hand for review: K9s in BB (a.k.a. What should I have done?)

Second orbit. Not sure yet, but have a feeling Button is a LAG (which I later confirmed). No read in particular on MP2.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks,

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Pretty decent flop, though I'm thinking a check call would've been better, but I did have a pretty strong draw so I'd like some input. By the end of this round I'm kind of skittish, but I had the pot odds to call the cap Im thinking.

Turn: (13.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Well thats not what I was looking for.... check call mode. I dont think a fold is best here, but I may be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

River: (18.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Woo nut flush. Bet right? Then it's two back to me... awww hell... I pretty much have to call here with the pot this big right?

Final Pot: 30.50 BB

Results after a few replies.

Looking for any critique or constructive advice applicaple.

TRWIII
Old 07-19-2004, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Hand for review: K9s in BB (a.k.a. What should I have done?)

There is absolutely no point at which you can fold this hand, IMO. I think MP2 has you beat, but you just have to pay him off here.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:35 AM

I wouldn't slow down anywhere. I may have 3-bet the flop then bet the turn to see if I get a raise. That's the only way I know for sure if I'm beat. Otherwise, good play.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty decent flop, though I'm thinking a check call would've been better, but I did have a pretty strong draw so I'd like some input. By the end of this round I'm kind of skittish, but I had the pot odds to call the cap Im thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great flop for you! You have 12 outs with two chances to hit them!! My flop line would have been bet and then 3-bet, you have 4 other people giving you action on a draw where you'll get "there" around half of the time! With the flop action I may begin to consider 44 a possibility but hey you've still got at least 11 clean outs, since I consider AK to be very unlikely given no PF raise.

[ QUOTE ]
Well thats not what I was looking for.... check call mode. I dont think a fold is best here, but I may be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, a fold would be horrible poker. Checking and calling is good. The pot is too huge.

[ QUOTE ]
Woo nut flush. Bet right? Then it's two back to me... awww hell... I pretty much have to call here with the pot this big right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds good. Given the flop action I might consider a fold when it comes back 2 more to me, but you could do worse than ensuring yourself a chance to win a 30BB pot. I would be concerned about the fact MP2 call-reraised on the flop and continued to give as much action as possible after that point, on all streets.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:32 AM

Ugh, tough hand.

Your right to stay once you went all the way to the river. The pots too big to fold now...if your beat so be it, but you can not release your hand.

After witnessing lot's of play at Party 2/4, I'm not totally convinced that your beat though.

I think you can discount MP2 having an A/J hand because he probably would have raised preflop instead of limping.It wouldn't be a total surprise if the button had a hand like K/T and made his straight on the river thinking he was good.

Really the only hand that makes sense from the betting of MP2 is Q/J. It's a slim possibility, but a possibility none the less.

As I mentioned, once your in this far you have to bite the perverbial bullet and pay this one off. I would have led out on the turn though to see how the MP2 reacted. By check/calling, your not giving yourself any chance to get a good read on what he might have been holding. If he raised your turn bet, then you get a much better idea whether your behind or not. If it comes back raised and reraised, you can feel much better about mucking and waiting for the next one.

JMHO

Husker
Old 07-19-2004, 08:36 AM

Check-call is not acceptable on the flop. You should put in 750 bets if they'll all stick along.

-Michael
Old 07-19-2004, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-call is not acceptable on the flop. You should put in 750 bets if they'll all stick along.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 07-19-2004, 11:28 AM

Do you realize that given the number of outs you have, every bet you can get in on the flop against 2 or more opponents is +EV? You should be pouring money into this pot on the flop as long as you can keep it multiway. Had the button not capped, you should have.

Ram and jam, baby.

Having said that, I think it was Ed Miller who stated that call-reraise on the flop often means exactly a set. MP2's play is consistent with 44, or maybe QJ.

Turn looks fine, river is good--not a chance you can fold in a pot this size. Button is retarded for 3-betting, but at least he's around and subsidizing you for the times MP2 does have a boat.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:07 PM

Default Results

MP2 flipped over QJ for a turned boat and he wins. Oh, and the button had 32s for a really crappy flush [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Oh well, I thought betting out the flop was the right thing to do. I would've probably bet out the turn, but that second jack made me kind of gun shy.

Oh well, thats poker,
TRWIII