Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2004, 12:25 AM

Default Frustrating PP 50NL Hand

Need advice on all streets.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Hero ($72.27)
Button ($119.27)
SB ($49.70)
BB ($28.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to $5</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($11) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, SB calls $5.

Turn: ($21) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, SB calls $15.

River: ($51) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $51
<font color="green">Main Pot: $51, between Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB ($51).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 9d 9s (two pair, aces and nines).
Hero shows Jd Kd (one pair, aces).
Outcome: SB wins $51. </font>
Old 07-17-2004, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Frustrating PP 50NL Hand

I'm far from an expert, but it seems that you're on a draw, so why not take the free card when your opponent checks to you on the turn? I can see making a stab at the pot on the flop, but I think I would have taken the freebie on the turn, and then folded to a bet on the river when my draw didn't hit...
Old 07-17-2004, 02:07 PM

Ya, I probably should of checked the turn. But at the time I figured the second ace was a good scare card to make a buff at the pot (with the added possibiity of catching my draw on the river).
Old 07-17-2004, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, I probably should of checked the turn. But at the time I figured the second ace was a good scare card to make a buff at the pot (with the added possibiity of catching my draw on the river).

[/ QUOTE ]

The second ace is not really a scare card. Its actually more of an assurance to your opponent that his 9's are good and that you don't have an ace. With the second ace the odds of your opponent thinking that you have an ace go down dramatically.

If the flop did not contain an ace then it has the possibility of being a scare card

Matt
Old 07-17-2004, 06:42 PM

I don't like the minimum raise pre-flop. As far as I can tell, a minimum raise in the $.50/$1 game is completely useless. No one suspects you have a big hand when you make the minimum raise and even if they do, you didn't play it like a big hand post-flop.

On the turn I think you either need to take the free card you've been offered or make a much more authoritative bet. I don't see what underbetting the pot will do to help you win this hand. If you want to use the Ace as a scare card, you need to bet as if it really helped your hand. The thinking at the small PartyPoker no limit games does not tend to be deep. No one is going to fold to a smallish bet fearing that you are trying to suck them in with a monster. When you underbet the flop and the turn, you're telling your opponent that you're not really in love with your hand.

SpaceAce