Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Live Event Every Week - a la PGA Tour?

Do you guys see this trend moving us towards a live poker event weekly - something akin to a PGA Tour of poker? This article seems to think so. The WPT was a first attempt to organize the "sport" into something of a "Tour" or an organizational body. Why couldn't we have a big time season - say 22-25 events - all televised live like the PGA. Obviously, the logistics of PGA vs. Poker are very different. But I think the U.S. culture is ready to follow a "league" every week. The PGA has stars, but it also has a steady stream of newbies that join and compete all year long. A poker league would be similar. Guys like D'Agostino who came on the scene this week would be akin to a Shaun Micheel winning the 2003 PGA Championship - a major event.

I make the PGA comparison because there seems to be a LOT of overlap between novice fans of golf and poker. Many country club golfers also play poker at the club, so this seems like a no-brain business move.

Anyone know of any plans to do this? Do you think it would be good for poker? I can't wait for something like this, even if it only drew a niche audience. I think Fox swung the door wide open this week.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Live Event Every Week - a la PGA Tour?

Two questions.

Does any of the TV money get added to the prize purse in these televised tournaments?

Do Tennis and Golf pros pay entry fees into tournaments that go towards the prize pool? The Masters is invitation-only, IIRC, is there an entry fee in addition?
Old 07-16-2004, 04:09 PM

The logistics between PGA and poker are very different, but I'm speaking in terms of weekly televised play.

In the PGA, all purse money is put up by the sponsors of the event + TV package money.

PGA golfers do not "pay to play" once on the Tour. However, in order to qualify for the Tour, they must pay their own way into Q-school in September, which consists of events around the country where the top 30 or so players qualify for their tour cards. The tour card allows the player to play in PGA sanctioned events for 1 year. No fee for play is involved, but heavy travel expenses are - which are picked up by sponsors, if you can get them. That's why you'll see Dunlop and Wilson, etc. sponsoring young players who are struggling to pay their traveling expenses on the tour. The smaller sponsors hope to score big if a "new" player wins a big tournament.

In order to continue playing on the tour, you must finish in the top 125 in the money to keep your Tour Card for next year.

Additionally, events will allow a certain number of "sponsors exemptions" where a player will be invited to play even if he no longer carries a Tour Card. Famous older players and local pros are often given these exemptions. Also - players can earn a lifetime exemption if they win a major.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:12 PM

BTW - the #125 player on the PGA money list last year made $480,000+ and you don't even know his name, so it's a good gig if you can get it.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:02 PM

Excellent response. I somehow don't think a PGA-style poker tour, where players weren't risking their own money, would be as exciting. I'm sure the established pros would like that system a LOT more, though, since it constructs a barrier to entry (keeps out the newbies). OTOH, it might be hard to get as much sponsorship money into poker, since their isn't a huge industry of supplying the amatuers (clubs, balls, shoes, gloves, bags, etc). For poker, all you need is money. Maybe Bee and Ke can sponsor a few guys.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For poker, all you need is money. Maybe Bee and Ke can sponsor a few guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not like the WPT or WSOP are really hurting for advertising.

On the money side of things I would really like to see the TV people put a little money where their ratings are and add a significant amount to the prize pool. Considering the price of your average TV show this days, how much would it kill the networks to add like $250k to the prize pool.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Excellent response. I somehow don't think a PGA-style poker tour, where players weren't risking their own money, would be as exciting. I'm sure the established pros would like that system a LOT more, though, since it constructs a barrier to entry (keeps out the newbies). OTOH, it might be hard to get as much sponsorship money into poker, since their isn't a huge industry of supplying the amatuers (clubs, balls, shoes, gloves, bags, etc). For poker, all you need is money. Maybe Bee and Ke can sponsor a few guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pros would want to keep out the newbies... why?
Old 07-18-2004, 05:42 PM

The pros would want to keep out the newbies because lately the pros haven't been able to counteract the sudden influx of online rooks. Plus the pros have been gettin beat by the rooks, so naturally the pros would the rooks out, but I don't think thats the case.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The pros would want to keep out the newbies because lately the pros haven't been able to counteract the sudden influx of online rooks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. In cash games, the pros would obviously want more fish, but in big tournaments, the "newbies" aren't necessarily fish, they're high-quality players, they just haven't "paid their dues" on the live tournament circuit.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:22 PM

The problem is unlike golf every one of the rooks has to pay to play in poker. If you have a system where only the 30 best rooks get to put money up it is going to make it harder for everyone playing. The more rooks you let int he more likely you are to get to the point where BAD ones are putting up money to play which is what the pros want.