Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2004, 03:25 PM

Default Was I right to push here (PLO High only)

PLO on Stars 1/2 blinds

UTG limps
Im dealt 6h 8h Td Jh UTG +1 and call
MP raises to $11
called by the button,SB UTG and myself.

Pot = $55

Flop 4h 7c 9h

UTG checks,
I check hoping the raiser will bet out which he does going all in for $51

folded to the SB who calls $51

folded to me,I put the origonal raiser on AAxx possibly with a flush draw,or another big pair.The SB could literally have anything,inc a weak flush draw I'v seen him/her raise with lots of weak draws,but usually when there first to speak after the flop.I also think I will get called if I reraise with a lot of hands I'm favourite over but would like the sb to fold so I can get HU against the all in(right or wrong thinking?).
Soooooooo I push all in for $181.65 and the SB calls.

Turn 7h
river 6d

I hit but unfortunatly the paired flop gave the SB quad 7s [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img](I knever got to see the all in players cards)

I was surprised to see the SBs called with second set,even though I di read them as being a call station(prob me being stubborn)

Overall though I felt I would prob have checked and folded after the turn paired the board and saved some money but felt my draw warrented the push.

Was I right?
Old 07-15-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Was I right to push here (PLO High only)

Yeah, you were more likely a favorite over the set. This is a classic PLO hand, set vs wrap straight draw.

go to www.twodimes.net if you have the full hand history, and you can get your exact percentages.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:03 PM

i think the push was reasonable but i wonder about the logic of pushing to get heads up with the all in player. given youre description of the sb im not surprised he called with the set and think theres a good chance he would call with the nut flush draw. it sounds like the hands he is most likely to fold are hands that youre heavily favored over to me. that said youre I dont think you played the hand poorly but taking off a safe card given the sb calling proclivities also seems a reasonable course of action to me.
gl
matty
Old 07-19-2004, 06:49 AM

i would consider betting on the flop unless you feel very strongly that the preflop raiser or button will bet here. you want all the money in, but getting in a pot bet is better than allowing a free card to drop off. if you feel pretty confident the raiser or button will bet, go ahead and go for the big check-raise if anyone else calls.

as for being surprised that SB called with middle set, don't play PLO expecting your opponents to release middle set to any kind of action, whether or not it's the correct play. only a select few players read the betting well enough to let go of a strong hand.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:56 AM

I would dump this hand pre-flop. You have middle cards, no pairs and no possible nut flush either. You are also out of position as well. Your only hope is to catch the str8 wrap and hope nothing pairs or flushes the board.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:13 PM

There is nothing wrong with middle straight cards in PLO. This is not hi/lo
Old 07-19-2004, 03:17 PM

First, you should have dumped this hand utg+1, and then you should have dumped it when the pot was raised. The problem with the double-gapper is that you basically need a 7 and a 9 to make a strong hand.

On the flop you should have bet out - your hand is pretty strong. But a lot of people play these wraps on a flush draw board a bit too strongly in multiway pots -- remember that even a made straight barely gets equity if there's a set and a flush draw out there.

As for whether to reraise, there's a rule of thumb, that if you're out of position, you want to get all your money in right away, but if you're in position, you might want to slow it down -- you may get someone to bluff you when YOUR card hits, AND you might get away from a losing hand.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:27 PM

Good points Pete!