Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2004, 05:03 AM

Default JJ UTG

Yesterdays $18 Rebuy Tournament at VCPoker

The field has just been reduced to the final table (9 players), and I had an average chip stack of $38,000. Blinds have just increased to 2,000 and 4,000. I was dealt JJ under the gun, what should I do?

I'm posting this because I think I played the hand very badly which was detrimental to my overall chances . I'm curious to see if anyone would fold the hand pre-flop. If you would raise, by how much?
Thanks
Old 07-15-2004, 10:01 AM

Default Re: JJ UTG

You dont really want to see a flop here. But a health 3xbb raise means 1/3 your stack. That means you are either in PUSH or FOLD mode.

I'd probably push, but if I felt I was by far the best player at the table, I may fold (Unfortunately, I never have this problem). Almost all the time though, I'd push.

Nick
Old 07-15-2004, 11:16 AM

You cannot fold this hand. 85% of the time, you will have the best hand preflop. Make someone else make the tough decision. You don't want to miniraise and have some yahoo push with AQ when he would have folded to the all in. You have about 9.5x, so a 3x raise PC's you preflop, so go ahead and push.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:19 PM

I contemplated both folding and going all-in, but in the end I raised 3xBB (12K). I was called by the big blind (chip leader) and the flop came AK7r. The bing blind pushed on the flop and I folded. I was left with 22K, which after posting the blinds in the next two hands was reduced to 16K and I was in a chronic state...

Looking back I also think that PUSHING would have been a far better option here. Even FOLDING would have been far better than my play.

thanks for your comments
Old 07-15-2004, 01:18 PM

I like trying for a limp/reraise here. You don't pot commit yourself by limping (if you don't get to reraise), or you can reraise all in preflop. In my opinion, your stack makes this a difficult hand. I just don't like raising all in for that many chips (almost 10BB) UTG, you'll take the pot a large majority of the time, but I can't imagine a hand that you have beat calling you for that many chips, except maybe TT. Here you might get a hand like A10 trying to steal the blinds and your limp, and can make him make a mistake.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:21 PM

your play was certainly not terrible. the only thing i do differently is raise 2 1/2xBB. it doesn't PC you, and it doesn't cripple your stack. also, your chances of taking the blinds are just as good as if you raised 3xBB. pushing is certainly an option, but your stack was average, not desperate.

cheers!
Old 07-15-2004, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your play was certainly not terrible. the only thing i do differently is raise 2 1/2xBB. it doesn't PC you, and it doesn't cripple your stack. also, your chances of taking the blinds are just as good as if you raised 3xBB. pushing is certainly an option, but your stack was average, not desperate.

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

and what do you do if somebody pushes?

similarly, i don't like the limp-reraise because if somebody raises to, say, 4 BB's then you know they're PC'ed and will call your raise. alternatively, if the flop Qxx, you have no idea where you're at.

i'd push it in and hope.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:45 PM

ugh! thats on of those hands thats just good enough to get you in alot of trouble. Push and hope for a fold or a call by a under pair. I think the only hands that call are AK & AQs 99-AA. I really don't like to get called by two overs here. I somehow always come out on the wrong end of the 50/50. I think if you play it anyother way, and get bet off the pot, you are kicking yourself for not pushing. IMO
Old 07-15-2004, 07:22 PM

I think it’s a tough spot to be in.

I’ve been experimenting with min-raising in this situation in games where my opponents are fairly good and they’ve seen my raise 3xBB most of the time. This often works to trick them into thinking I have AA/KK and am playing it goofy and the table will all fold, or it at least freezes them into only calling. Only good for a once in awhile play, but I have been doing this with some success a couple times now with 88, which I hate getting UTG.

--Greg
Old 07-15-2004, 07:26 PM

If I had slightly more chips, like maybe around 11xBB, I'd play it like you did. Having < 10xBB, I push everytime.