Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2004, 11:56 AM

Default I\'m so bad at NL. Is this line standard or horrible?

I'll preface with a little about myself. I'm a pretty good limit player (I beat up to 15/30 solidly and have started playing some 30/60 recently and am thus far doing quite well there too) and have just very recently decided that I ought to learn NL. This hand just came up and I feel like a played it like a limit player not a no-limit player.

UB .50/1
2 folds, 2 limps, I limp with 77 (first mistake?), folded around to sb who completes, BB checks. 5 dollar pot to the flop. I've got everyone covered with 120something.
Flop: 9d 3d 2c
Checked to me, I pot it (this has to be right, no?), BB is the only caller. He has 87 left after the call.
Turn: 5h
He checks. I think I'm almost certainly ahead here, though he could have flopped a set and (stupidly?) slowplayed it, and I put him on a flush draw but I don't relish the thought of being checkraised. I decide to check behind and pay off a small bet (half pot or less) if an ace, a 4, or a diamond falls and a pretty big bet, up to twice the pot i think, if the river is nonscary.
River: 3c
He pots it. I call. He has Ad2d. Well, that worked out nicely but I have no idea if I played it well or not.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:06 PM

Default Re: I\'m so bad at NL. Is this line standard or horrible?

I like your limp preflop. For the most part at those limits, try to see flops cheaply with hands that can turn into monsters and get paid off.

Your bet on the flop is fine, as you probably have the best hand here with position. On the turn, and this drawy board there are two options here.

A) bet it here (I'd go about 3/4 pot) and then take a free showdown (if raised, you're done with the hand)
B) check here to induce a bluff on the end and call any reasonable bet unless another straight card or diamond hits.

Given that you checked the turn, I call the river there a decent percentage of the time against anyone capable of bluffing with a pot bet.

If you really do put him on a draw, There's nothing wrong with betting the turn. If he does a stop and go on the river, it's decision time.

I'm sure if you make some assumptions, you can mathematically figure out the "best" play. But all-in-all, you want to keep the pot small so I would probably bet the turn against weaker opponents and check against stronger ones (hence more likely to bluff into weakness and more likely to check-raise semi-bluff).
Old 07-14-2004, 12:16 PM

It looks like you are very successful on the limit side of things, so the transition to online NL might not be too bad. I say online bc as the stacks get deeper, the game becomes much more subtle and tricky.
I am on the flip side, I am trying to improve my limit game.

In NL you will be calling down much less, and drawing much less.

On to the hand...

[ QUOTE ]
I limp with 77 (first mistake?),

[/ QUOTE ]

This is perfectly fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: 9d 3d 2c
Checked to me, I pot it (this has to be right, no?),

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks good as well if you think there is a good chance you can take it down.

The post flop plays gets a little sticky and you have to know your opponent some to play it very well.

When you get called on this board, I would immediately think flush draw or a straight draw. I doubt most players would slow play a set on that board, but I certainly have seen it done.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: 5h
He checks. I think I'm almost certainly ahead here, though he could have flopped a set and (stupidly?) slowplayed it, and I put him on a flush draw but I don't relish the thought of being checkraised. I decide to check behind and pay off a small bet (half pot or less) if an ace, a 4, or a diamond falls and a pretty big bet, up to twice the pot i think, if the river is nonscary.

[/ QUOTE ]

This again is player dependant. If you think he will bluff at the river, then the check is not as bad, but keep in mind you are giving him a free card.

I would have bet 3/4 pot on the turn to charge him for his probable flush draw. If he CR's me here, I am folding this nearly every time, as that is how many online players love to slowplay their hands, by CR the turn.
In general, a turn CR is very scary, while a flop CR heads up is usually not, TPWK most of the time.

I like betting the turn here bc if you check the river, he will bet very large (larger than your turn bet most likely) and then you have a tough decision on your hands.

Bet the turn, fold to a CR, and/or check behind on the river no matter what happens (except the case 7).

[ QUOTE ]
River: 3c
He pots it. I call. He has Ad2d. Well, that worked out nicely but I have no idea if I played it well or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
The turn induced a bluff by him: good; gave free card: bad.

Your play here is well thought out for a newbie. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But I still like the turn bet here much better for the several reasons I gave above.

Good start, keep posting. A good player like yourself should shoot up the in ranks! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

fsuplayer
Old 07-14-2004, 12:19 PM

Gomberg-

Stop looking at my paper!

Nice post. It looks like mine, except you obviously can write at higher than my fourth grade level! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

fsuplayer
Old 07-14-2004, 01:46 PM

lol - nice post. I like when I'm first and a good poster says roughly the same things I thought. I'm an engineer, so my english is only at 3rd grade level on average [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]